Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,, My name is Tina and im trying to restore my old camaro.. it has been sitting for ohhhhhhhh .... 10plus years.. Why???? well long story but heres the short one.. It meant everythng to me, a man who wanted to hurt me beat the crap out of it and i couldnt stand to drive it that way.. things got bad and i coverd it and tried not to think about it.. Well things are a little better and it has been calling me. I always kept my car very clean... anyone have any ideas what i should do first to start it...remember im a girl... so explain slooooowly...lol .... but im not blonde.. Thanks for any help ... its a 83 Z28 5sp T-tops .. thanks...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hi Tina and welcome to Team Camaro. It's hard to say where to start without knowing exactly the condition of the car. If it has been sitting for awhile, chances are that it is going to need quite a bit of work to get it road worthy again.

I would try to get the engine running first. You are going to need a new battery and new gas in the tank since the gas in the tank is stale, from the car sitting all those years. Try those things first. After you get the engine running, then you can do a tune-up and other minor adjustments. Replace all the fluids oil, water, etc. I would replace the engine oil and trans first. They are the most important. Check the engine oil first before you start the car.

Air up the tires and drive the car around for awhile to work the bugs out. (Bugs meaning problems) ;) The bodywork and the cosmetic stuff can be taken care of last. Start there and Good luck! :waving:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Welcome Tina. I agree with Dave. Get the gas out and put fresh in, maybe new fuel filter, battery and if you can get under the car, change the oil and filter before you crank it over. Hopefully it will start and you can make a plan from there.

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Welcome Tina from the Beach! As said, fresh gas and battery for a start. Maybe a can of starting fluid.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Welcome Tina! Careful, we women may start outnumbering these guys...NOT! Anyway, there is a TON of knowledge here, and absolutely no problems helping us girls. They have been a godsend to me and my "toy". (no big heads guys:D ) I have found that if I get frustrated or just don't get something, I can come here and have it explained "in english" so I get it. Welcome aboard!
MaryBeth

·
Registered
551 Posts
some pics (of the car) might help so we could better access where your efforts best lay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts