Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember a few years ago,.. a place on the east coast that dealt with repro. black license plates. As I remember.., If you had one original black plate, you could send it to them to have a duplicate made to replace a lost one. Does anyone know of this or had any experience with them?

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help. I will check the websites out. Glad to know there are still places around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Speaking of black plates, I've heard that if I got a set of used plates from a swap meet or such, I could take them to the DMV and use them on my car if they are no longer registered to another car. Has anyone heard of or done this? Anyone have any ideas to check old plates to see if they are clear, or to get them cleared, other than going to the DMV?

thanks

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by 68inSJ:
Speaking of black plates, I've heard that if I got a set of used plates from a swap meet or such, I could take them to the DMV and use them on my car if they are no longer registered to another car. Has anyone heard of or done this? Anyone have any ideas to check old plates to see if they are clear, or to get them cleared, other than going to the DMV?

thanks
Not possible, mine were a gift are on the wall in my home office as I type this. Only '63 and older are allowed to do as you suggest. Gov Davis has veto'd the the bill that would allow it the last 2 or 3 times it made it to his desk.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
His reasoning is all cars should have reflective plates so emergency personel can see them. It's suspected that there may be a roadside smog monitoring station in the works that would need reflective plates to zero in on and be able to find your exhaust pipes...

Some car collectors do support his decision to veto though as it helps keep the CA black plate car special. A car currently with black plates newer than '63 most likely is a true CA car and the heratage or mistque would be lost if any old car restored could be registered in CA with old black plates...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Will DJD... I understand the logic of other Car Collectors objecting... but it almost sound like the "I got mine... too bad for you" mentality. That would be like car collectors prohibiting reproduction parts.

Anyway... since I have vanity plates... I've order duplicates of them made in the California "BLUE" plate and will be putting those on my Camaros

I think they'll look a lot better than the current Vanity Plate (White with "califonia" in script)... and I don't think the "Man" will mpt notice them ;)

But still... I stand by my previous post. Gov Davis is not my favorite politician

·
Registered
63 Posts
toycarlvr and anyone else interested

if you have a 67-69 camaro and you want to put black plates with the yellow letters it is as simple as getting a matched pair at your local autoswap, if the guy your buying from says they are DMV cleared, all you have to do is order personalized plates and just write down what your black plates say. dont take the black plates to DMV, what they dont know wont hurt you. i have had this done a few times. when you get the new vanity plates just throw on the black one and hang the new ones in garage. cop pulls you over and all they know is the numbers match. they dont know what color they are supposed to be. but you didnt hear this from me.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
Jake - I tried exactly what you suggest anf the DMV said sorry the letter/number combination was used from 'xx year through 'xx year and we can't reissue them.

I'll search later for the posts last time the bill was on the gov's desk and I spoke up in support of it getting signed. Needless to say I still concider the ones that didn't want the bill signed as friends...

·
Registered
63 Posts
DjD

i guess its just a matter of who you get at the counter. i just went in told them what i wanted on my plate, they asked what it stood for and i made up some B#&& S%$# story about my mom and dads birthdays.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
My wife has a family member in Lompoc that works at the DMV there and wouldn't do it. She stopped at the DMV in Pismo and Paso Robles on her trip home with the plates and they wouldn't do it and the San Jose and Los Gatos DMV's wouldn't issue personal plates matching the black plates she got for the ragtop or just issue tags for them.

You can feel very lucky Jake, my wife paid very good money for the restored black plates, matched the numbers to when the car would have been orig licensed and everything. We tried very hard to get the plates on the car...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Things did change somewhat more favorably over the years. When I first bought my Camaro in 1990, the DMV would not let me register the car with the black plates, even thought they were on the car. The reason - the car hadn't been register in 8 yrs and therefore I had to get new plates...bogus.

I moved out of state for a few years and returned in '98. I checked with the CA DMV again, and they now state that if you can prove those plates were originally registered to the car, you can use 'em. I was delighted - especially since I never registered the car out-of state. I have an old copy of a title (from '81) showing my plates are original. So, if someone updated the plates on your CA car, and you can prove and still have the original plates, you can now register the car with those plates.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by DjD:
Jake - I tried exactly what you suggest anf the DMV said sorry the letter/number combination was used from 'xx year through 'xx year and we can't reissue them...
Yupe... I tried that one before also. Went to the Califonia DMV website to put in old black plate numbers to see if I could order vanity plates and came up with the same thing DjD did.

So... order vanity plates and am having duplicates made using the Califonia Blue Plate. Well.. I don't think Shadow will know these plates are not Califonia issues...

Not as a cool as Black Plates... but still much nicer than white plates :cool:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've been thinking about getting my plates refinished but kinda like the fact that my front one is so beat up, as it's the only original sheetmetal on the front of the car.

Although I really wouldn't care whether or not other people could buy the old plates, I do kind of like the fact that when you see a camaro with black plates, you know it's a true california car. Granted, mine has about as much rust as a car from northern minnesota, it's still nice to know it's been running around in the bay area since before I was born (I found a season pass to Great America from the 70's in my door).

Still, if the reason why plates aren't being granted is because of this future smog check, then I think that's messed up simply because I don't believe classics should be subject to the same smog laws as other cars. I dunno, Gray Davis's time is up as governor, as far as I'm concerned, maybe the next one will be more friendly to classic car owners.

DjD for Governor!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts