Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to do an install of my new baer brakes , and they recomend using brake fluid that comes in a can , ( like performance friction brake fluid ) ,so i guess my question is , because i'm not sure what is currently in my 4wheel drum system ,, should i just completly flush the system , if yes , any recomendations on how to go about doing this ( i think i've read about every post on bleeding ), and how much brake fluid do you think is in a whole brake system ,,

A pretty loaded question ,

Thanks all !!! Mike

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Assuming you changed the master, too... I imagine by the time the system is bled, it will be flushed, a couple of times.

When I did mine, I disconnected all the lines at the wheels, and just let the system drip until the master was empty, it took a couple days.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rather Than using the drip dry method I used a Mitey Vac it's a little vacume pump. You can get it at Auto Zone, Sears ,or most parts stores. It comes with a cup that collects the Fluid so you can siphon your master and the hose slips over your bleeders so you can empty the system without getting fluid everywhere.When your ready to go back with new fluid while your trying to get the air out you can reuse the fluid you've collected. It's about $25 Bucks and it's worth it.Another plus to this little tool is it only takes one person to bleed the brakes

This in itself is great. No more yelling at the wife because she took her foot off the pedal too soon LOL
Good Luck David

·
Registered
601 Posts
as david said it is cheap. for a good vacumn or pressure bleeder its going to cost you a few hundred but better and easier but for bakyard use buy the manual pump. or open lines and blow all old fluid out. and fill master and vacunm or have wife help. hhmmmm buy vacumn pump lol easier. lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would think you could install a set of Speed Bleeders (one of God's greatest inventions) and keep bleeding until the brake fluid runs clear. Work from one corner to the next until the brake fluid looks fresh. Speed Bleeders are also a one person bleed solution, plus no equipment to keep up with. As far as brake fluid, I'd think a DOT 3/4 is a safer bet from cross contamination than the DOT 5, but others opinions may differ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts