Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally treated myself to a set of new heads from my 350. I went to a set of assembled Edelbrock Performer RPM's. 64cc with 202 /160 valves. I sat there thinking to myself, the engine will be pratically disassembled anyways, why not take it just a step further and change out the cam as well? The one that's in there now is a little mild from what I've been told. It's a Crower with .456 max lift. I'm looking for 400hp. Here's what I've got in place so far. Please help me out with a cam that will get me to where I need to be.

KB Flat Top Pistons
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads ( 64cc 202/160 )
Edelbrock 1405 600 cfm
Hooker 1 5/8 Headers
Flowmaster 2 1/2 dual exhaust

Thanks in advanced
Chris

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Lunati VooDoo 60103

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eville ...

Let me throw this in here too, forgot some stuff after reading other posts.

700R4 ( Bowtie Overdrives )
3:55 with posi
power brakes
245/50-16 out back

Thought I should put my existing cams specs in here too, to see if anyone thinks the old one ( only 3,000 miles on it ) will get me close to when mated to the new Edelbrock heads

Crower # 00241 ( Grind# 270HDP )
Intake Duration 270' Lift .456
Exhaust Duration 276' Lift .458

Duration at .050
Intake 214'
Exhaust 218'
Lobe Lift
Intake .304
Exhaust .305
Lobe Separation 112'

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm ...
Looking at the cam specs.
It seems like both the VooDoo and Comp Cams that you both have pointed out are about a step or two above what I already have. Is it worth it to go the extra mile and swap out the cam ?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Flat-top pistoned engine at 10 to 1 CR...

That cam should make right at 396hp at 5500 rpm w/ open headers so will do you well imho!!

Sure, it is small, but it's always better to be a bit SMALL than big!!

Sucker at right at 420 t from 4,000 to 4500 rpm will pull like a freight-train!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Competition Cams XE262H will be perfect, any more would be for racing not driving.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the same engine combo the only difference is 4:10 rear and an M-21 instead of your 700r4
When I built mine, I found a street roller from comp cams it was called the 280 magnum roller 280 advertised with .550 lift!!
More money, but Ive been really happy with this set up. runs mid 12s and has great street manners!!
Check into a roller, you get a lot more lift which I think is worth a lot of power
:beers: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks pdq67 ...
So your saying that with my existing Crower cam and my new Edelbrock heads with 64cc making close to 10:1. I "should" be in the 390+ range ??

Thanks again for all the input

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SOLD .... I'll take it.
Now on to my next big question.
I would consider myself a weekend wrench and minor "bro-canic".
I have NEVER replaced heads before. Should I even try to do this myself or cough up the $100 an hour shop rate for a mechanic to do it ..... which of coarse I will have to save up for and sit and stare at my new heads for at least 6 more months. I realize that screwing this up is BIG TIME catostrophic engine damage.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I never replaced heads or a camshaft until a few months ago, it went as clockwork without any issues. I just read the instructions on camshaft changing from ALL them manufactures about 3 times each to get a full understanding of what I was doing. The heads I just ripped off and had them rebuilt, cleaned the surface with lacquer thinner and a long file, then I bought new gaskets and copper gasket spray and sprayed the gaskets a few times then installed them, set the heads down and torqued the bolts 25, then 35 around, then 45 around as everyone recommended. Anyone can do this if you have a mechanical understanding.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Brian ....
I think I'll go for it.
Sorry for ANOTHER question.
But since I'll be going from 76cc iron heads to 64cc aluminum heads, will the carb need tweeking after?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Chris,

Back about the spring of '70 or so, I earned my torque wrench by doing a head job on the street out in front of my F-i-L's house years ago after getting married. My B-i-L had a '66 Buick SkyLark w/ a bad valve and I told him we would R&R it for a new beam torque wrench for me!!

Buy one and have at it!!! I figure it is a beginner's day job, which is two half a Sat's b/c you take them off and go have a valve job done and then later next weekend put them back on is all!!

And either do it inside IF there is any chance of bad weather too. Or outside if it's gonna be clear...

One last point is to mark everything so you know where all goes back!

My B-i-L took off a bracket on his side and forgot how it went back on and we had to go hunt up another car just like his so's I could put it back together!!!!! He, He!!!!!

pdq67

·
Registered
39 Posts
one of the greatest inventions ever is the digital camera. Snap pics of things so you know how they go back. I use to make some horrible drawings of odd things before digitals came along.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok ....
So take pictures. Mark the distibutor where it use to be. Take old heads off, replace with new ones. Put everything back the way I found it, and it "should" fire back up like clockwork?

I'm in.
What the hell ......... time to man up right

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Youll be fine. My first head swap I REALLY screwed up. but it only cost me a head gasket...(trq specs wrong). Rockers werent set right...you name it. but with a little patience, I got'er done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chris,

Back about the spring of '70 or so, I earned my torque wrench by doing a head job on the street out in front of my F-i-L's house years ago after getting married. My B-i-L had a '66 Buick SkyLark w/ a bad valve and I told him we would R&R it for a new beam torque wrench for me!!

pdq67
Hey, it might be my aussie sense of humour but what did your F-I-L & wife think of you doing a head job on your B-I-L out the front on the street?
Sorry could'nt resist
Cheers ****:beers:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys ....
I'll do it

One last question ( yeah right )
Once the new heads are on and it's time to rocker arms. How far down do you tighten them so that when I try to fire it up afterwards I don't send a valve through a piston? I've got 1.5 roller tip rockers and 0.100 longer pushrods "per the techs at edelbrock"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts