Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm a Heavy Chevy Man from down south. I've owned many Chevy's but never a Camaro , never had the money or the right Camaro. Too expensive or too much rust.
Here is my situation, I have come across a 1989 Iroc. Original owner [70 yr old Lady] Details on the car: always serviced at the Dealership, All original except Cat back flow master exhaust. Interior is clean no cracks on dash has original floor mats only one tear on driver seat. Body straight no accidents needs paint do to clear cote peeling and faded paint NO rust. She claims car was built for Highway Patrol and came w/o stereo which dealer installed for the sale. Fuel tank only 10 gallons. Mileage:70,000
Asking $2,500
Car is 450 miles from me and I'm waiting on pics of the car and RPO codes before I travel to buy.
I really wasn't looking to buy an Iroc but it seems like I have an opportunity to buy a piece of history at the right price.
What do yall think.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro!

If it's an IROC then it's not a B4C (cop car RPO) as all 3rd gen B4C's were RS cars (IIRC). A couple of friends of mine have 3rd and/or 4th gen B4C's. They make great race cars. Basically heavy duty everything in the lightest model...

At any rate, if it's clean and has only 70,xxx miles on it then it's hardly been used. I used to have an 89 RS and sold it after it accumulated 225,xxx on the original drivetrain.

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Welcome, Mike.
Read the RPO sticker and as Jim suggests, look for B4C.
However, up to you. Reads like a good deal.
Was the car ever repainted by the GM paint defect?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Mike,

If it's as clean as that with 70K miles, and the records add up, $2500 isn't bad.
Take into consideration how far away it is, and is it really what you want? You said you weren't looking for one.
If it really is a B4C car, what will your plans be?
I wasn't looking because of the economy, my Business is seasonal and I'm going into my slow season. I've always wanted a "69","73" and an IROC, just never the right deal. My plans would be to keep it original.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and great responses. I'm waiting on more info from seller and I will update at that time.:D

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Here is some info on the GM paint used back then:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/639787-why-did-gm-have-so-many.html

My black '88 Dually has been repainted in '94-'95 due to this problem.
As said in the article, the darker paints were affected the most because of the thermal expansion, er, lack of.
Years later now, the clear coat is peeling off in sheets and base coat is left. It doesn't owe me anything.

Will it reduce the value, probably not, it's a used car.
Does it mean anything, no. If the car goes in for a repaint later, the shop will have to use their expertise in determing how far/much to sand off to get a good adhesive base.

A B4C looks like a Plain Jane. Up to you to make the decision. Weigh the odds carefully along with the ends.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
In case you don't know, the RPO codes for a 3rd gen are inside the center console on the right (passenger) side. Should be a white sticker with all the codes of everything the car came with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few picks her Granddaughter took. still waiting for rpo codes.
maybe not. I'll try and load them some other way

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Well, it's for sure not a B4C as all B4C's were hard top cars.

Does it have a 350 or a 305?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the warm welcome. To Jim it has a 350. I will post more pics once I pick up the car next week.:hurray:

·
Registered
199 Posts
My black '88 Dually has been repainted in '94-'95 due to this problem.
As said in the article, the darker paints were affected the most because of the thermal expansion, er, lack of.
Years later now, the clear coat is peeling off in sheets and base coat is left. It doesn't owe me anything.
I picked up a low milage Red 89 Iroc-z (no t-tops) from the original owner. Only issue is the clear coat peeling on the hood (looks horrible). That will be taken care of in the spring. Fun cars to drive, my dream car in the 90's to own.:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts