Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know, of those of us that have placed an ad, the ratio of how many legitimate responses you've recieved vs. the obvious or not so obvious responses that are scammers?

Of the 2 ads I placed with pictures, I think I got maybe 1 legit reply and probably 8 or 10 that I think are bogus.

The bogus ones always ask... What is your final asking price, do you have pictures? etc.

The hood I have posted is listed FREE!!! So there is no "final" price. And both ads have pictures, so obviously they didn't even look at the ads.

What I've done to try to weed out the spam/scam machine is I edited my email addy in the ad to look something like this:
joeblow (AT) yeehaw (DOT) com instead of [email protected]

I got that tip from my ISP on minimizing spam.

Brian Hatch

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
I would highly suggest NOT entering anything into the Displayed email field, but if you do, Brian's method works pretty good as they will not be able to 'harvest' an email listed that way.
If you do not put anything in the displayed email field only other registered users can contact you.

I need to find a way to clarify that. The displayed field is only there for those who want unregistered buyers to contact them.

Now, if a scammer contacts anyone that way, please send me their username and we can completely block them from the site. They may change IP's and usernames but that will get pretty old for them very fast (as we will toast them) and they will most likely move on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that was a required field to fill out.
I'll take mine off now.

Thanks for the tip.

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts