Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new convertible top does not stretch around the ends of the header bow. The header bow is a reproduction made by DynaCorn.

I think that I am going to have to grind the ends or cut the header bow to make it shorter. Then the top will wrap around the pieces. Does anybody have another suggestion?

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
What brand is the top? Will it leak if you cut back the bow?

Don

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Where is the piece that wraps around the front? You can see it in this pic of my wife’s vert.

Don
D4A43FC2-A997-428E-A7B2-7E198B91E716.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was manufactured by Kee convertible tops. The piece that that you are referring to wraps around the front of the header bow. It has not been installed yet. I need to fix this problem before installing this piece. Do you think installing the round tube will fix this problem?

I have been staring at this problem for about 4 weeks. The vinyl top is not permanently fastened yet in the front. I will have to remove the staples on the header bow and then fold back the vinyl top.

I think I can remove metal from the edges of the header bow and then rewrap the top on the header.

The vinyl top fits good everywhere else. The vinyl fits the sides of the frame everywhere but the header bow. The round tube piece is laying at the bottom of my windshield in the photo below.

This is the first time I have ever seen one of your cars. It looks good.

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
My wife’s top is also a Kee. I didn’t do the installation so I can’t offer much help. It’s the one job I didn’t feel brave enough to tackle. You Da Man Patrick, er I mean John Jones... :)

If it’s vinyl you could probably heat it and stretch it a little.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
My wife’s top is also a Kee. I didn’t do the installation so I can’t offer much help. It’s the one job I didn’t feel brave enough to tackle. You Da Man Patrick, er I mean John Jones... :)

If it’s vinyl you could probably heat it and stretch it a little.

Don
Ha. I am now un-censored again after your post. You must have some pull on this website.

I have pulled and tugged and I tugged and pulled. I used a piece of metal to protect the top from my vice grip jaws.

So you would not attempt to install a soft top? You are a lot smarter than me. My instructions stated to take the old top off and use it as a template for the new one. My old top blew away during transit. So I had to make my own template. The hardest part was to get rid of the shipping folds in the plastic window.

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
You are doing a great job. Did you save your original bow? Maybe compare the dimensions of the two. I would also call Kee.
Don

·
Registered
766 Posts
if you can put it in the sun and stretch
I would do this with the boot and it would stretch and fit perfect
it is obvious not the top but same affect maybe ,they do shrink a bit

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
if you can put it in the sun and stretch
I would do this with the boot and it would stretch and fit perfect
it is obvious not the top but same affect maybe ,they do shrink a bit
You and Don are telling me the same thing. Pull on the vinyl. I just like to cut and grind on things.

I have been installing this top in Texas when it is 10 degrees F. Now that it is warming up it might stretch enough to cover the header bow.

I hate to admit it but I threw away the old header bow. I have been studying photos of the original header bow. The one below shows the old top not completely wrapping around the header bow in the location in question.

Thank y'all for the advice.

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Try heating it with a steamer. A steamer won’t get hot enough to melt the top but warm enough to stretch.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Try heating it with a steamer. A steamer won’t get hot enough to melt the top but warm enough to stretch.

Don
A steamer? You must be married.

I secretly borrowed my wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. I filled it up with lacquer thinner and put some dirty parts in it. The cleaner worked great. Unfortunately, the liquid dissolved a rubber gasket on the lid. She bought a new, and more expensive one.

I have a portable heat gun and a parabolic electric space heater. I will roll the car in the driveway this weekend and put the heater inside the car with the windows rolled up. Then I will use the heat gun to spot heat the vinyl.

That heat gun was a great help getting rid of the shipping folds in the plastic window. I clamped the plastic down on a MDF board and heated the plastic while stretching the back curtain tight.

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
The pros on TV use upholstery steamers. Just sayin... :p

Don

·
Retired
26,854 Posts
Even if you can get the material to stretch, there will still be a bulge that shouldn't be there. The line above the window should be straight... I can't really give any advice as I farmed out my top

Here's mine...

Just a little below eye level...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
This is my top, brand is Electron. The installer sent the first one back, said he could tell from wrinkles etc. it had been sitting on a shelve for awhile. They recommend not getting one until ready to install, so it's "fresh".

Electron top.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Thanks for the photos. They helped me a lot.

I tried heating the top and stretching it. I was able to stretch the top but it would slowly contract back to its original size after I released the clamps.

I have to go to plan B.

I am going to remove the front part of the vinyl from the header bow.
I marked the top with chalk so that I know where to place the vinyl during re-installation.

I removed the staples from the tack strip. and folded back the top.

My old top had a thick black felt pad glued to the top of the header bow. I don't know if this pad originally came from the factory. I took it off and glued it to my new header panel. This felt pad was not part of my convertible top kit. I have never seen it listed as a reproduction part in the catalogs.

When I installed it, I wrapped it around the edge of the header bow.

I removed the edges of the felt strip and trimmed it so that it no longer wraps around the header bow.

I ground some of the header bow off along the edge. I removed about 1/8 inch of material.
Trimming the felt and removing some of the metal shortened the header bow so that the top now fits correctly.

I added caulk to the little hole in the header bow.

The photo below shows an area on the header bow that caused the deformity of the top not be straight along the window. I ground it down with a flap disk.

10 photo limit

Attachments

Reactions: dhutton

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
There was another rough area that needed to be fixed it caused dents in the vinyl. I flattened it with a hammer and punch.

View attachment 275805

Here is the top stapled back to the header bow. It looks like the photos that other members sent to me.

I started to install the front round seal to the top. It is not finished.

Reactions: dhutton

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Good job P-J....

Don

1 - 20 of 21 Posts