Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run into an issue with an aftermarket heater core for 68 SB no a/c being THICKER than the original Harrison core? I've purchased the core from the local O'Reilly's in my area, but upon inspection it's about 5/8" thicker. I didn't figure this would be a problem however the retainer clip won't screw down. It's at an upward angle because the tanks are taller. I've verified part numbers and it's correct one, tubes look bent correctly and correct size, I just can't get the retainer clip installed. Is this critical? The core is flush with the heater box so after sealing kit is installed I don't think it will move around or anything. Thanks for the assist.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes I got the proper core from advanced auto parts and took the 2 1/2" core I had put in earlier from summit out. I didn't trust it as it was a struggle to get it in and we were pretty ruff on the tubes. The 2" core went it much easier but in both cases the small tube had to be heated and repositioned to 3" center to center to come through the fire wall. I put flux and extra solder on when I did it and filled with water after and put it under 30lbs. air pressure to check for leaks.

yoddy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response yoddy. Do you happen to remember the advanced auto parts part # you ordered?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick note for anyone interested, I had to purchase a heater core for a 67 non-ac car to get the correct one for my 68. I must have an early production 68 because this new one fits perfectly. Interesting...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts