Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
new engine oil pump priming

Like a previous post, my 69 350 has been built for about 5yrs now and is just now ready to crank. I pulled the distributor and i've been priming the pump with my 18v cordless. After my drill motor starts smoking, slowly i'm getting oil to come out of all my push rods on the drivers side of the motor... slowly, one by one... but i haven't seen the first drop come out of my pass side push rods. Is this just a lack of rpm's on my drill? Or should i be seeing oil come out on both sides? or is this sufficient on the priming. thanks,
bl

·
3,403 Posts
b,
I doubt that a cordless drill has the power to properly do the job. We use a Snap On 1/2" air drill at 175 psi and it still is straining. Are you using the proper priming tool that has a collar down in the block to simulate the distributor housing ? Also, try turning the engine over a bit by hand whaile you prime it, even though you really should not have to, it seems to help on some engines.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Here's the tool Bill mentioned - if you're just using a shaft without the lower collar that matches the machining on the distributor housing, you'll never build oil pressure in the lifter galleries - it just dumps back in the pan instead.

:beers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive got a shaft with a piece of hose over it that goes over the oil pump shaft to keep my drill shaft from coming off. I didn't realize that the oil would not build pressure in the lifter galleries without the proper tool. I checked my oil pressure guage while turning the shaft with my drill and it read 50psi give or take. So to do it right i need to get the proper tool right?
thanks

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,193 Posts
Ya get the correct one, you can rent it free from autozone with a $30 deposit. I actually kept mine for the price of the deposit :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got me one this morning from autozone for $25, only thing is though, i went to put it on and the blade on the end is a little too big to go in my oil pump shaft slot, but since i'm going to keep it i'll probably put a little mod on the end. thanks fellows,
bl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts