Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have summit racing brand headers, and right now I have about 1/4" clearance between the header and power steering pump.

I'm putting in header flanges to use as spacers because my headers keep melting my plug wires. With these spacers I don't have enough clearance. I have heard of people changing the engine mounts to gain a lot of clearance. Does anyone have any ideas on what mounts or stands I can use, or if this is even a idea that will work?

I don't want to have to dent the headers but if that's the only way that's what I will do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You shouldn't need to space the headers a 1/4" or more to prevent the plug wires from burning. Can you provide us all with the setup you are running such as what type, style and manufacturer's cylinder heads, the same for the spark plugs and plug wires. Perhaps with those details there will be other solutions offered that will work for you.

Are your current headers ceramic coated and if not, what is the finish on them?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Can you post some pictures of the engine showing the drivers side header. Maybe a shot from underneath of the frame and motor mount on the driver side.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You shouldn't need to space the headers a 1/4" or more to prevent the plug wires from burning. Can you provide us all with the setup you are running such as what type, style and manufacturer's cylinder heads, the same for the spark plugs and plug wires. Perhaps with those details there will be other solutions offered that will work for you.

Are your current headers ceramic coated and if not, what is the finish on them?
I'm using the camel hump 462 heads. The plugs are stock ac delcos. Since my heads are straight plug, they come out right behind the number 6 header tube and burn the wires. There isn't any room at all.

It doesn't matter what wires I use they all burn on this tube, and they are ceramic coated.

Can you post some pictures of the engine showing the drivers side header. Maybe a shot from underneath of the frame and motor mount on the driver side.
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, thanks

·
14,097 Posts
I'm using the camel hump 462 heads. The plugs are stock ac delcos. Since my heads are straight plug, they come out right behind the number 6 header tube and burn the wires. There isn't any room at all.

It doesn't matter what wires I use they all burn on this tube, and they are ceramic coated.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow, thanks
Have you tried shorty header plugs?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-0576s-4

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Hey guys, I have summit racing brand headers, and right now I have about 1/4" clearance between the header and power steering pump.

I'm putting in header flanges to use as spacers because my headers keep melting my plug wires. With these spacers I don't have enough clearance. I have heard of people changing the engine mounts to gain a lot of clearance. Does anyone have any ideas on what mounts or stands I can use, or if this is even a idea that will work?

I don't want to have to dent the headers but if that's the only way that's what I will do.

Thanks!
You said clearance between the power steering pump , did you mean steering gear? Have you tried angle boots?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have found that Taylor Spiro-Pro wires with 135 degree spark plug boot fit the best on my BBC Camaro. Another thing compare the Summit Racing headers to Hedman Headers 68230. Look at the tube where you are having problems. Sometimes you have to be careful trial fitting the headers so you can send them back until you get the set that fits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No offense however I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for..... I'm all for getting deals and budgeting certain parts on my restorations. However, sometimes it's best to pay the piper and get exactly what you pay for i.e headers. Hooker comps and super comps are well worth their value! Many times you can find great used sets at swap meets for next to nothing! I found a set of super comp bbc headers for a tri-5 at a swap meet and paid $100 for them. Good luck with your build just my 2cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most all SBC headers are either 1 5/8" or 1 3/4" both which should give you ample PSP clearance. I have 2" BBC hooker ceramic coated super comp headers with MSD 90% plug wires zip tied under the headers to the distributor and no issue with them and it looks super clean. Unless you really want people to see your wires why run them out on top of the valve covers? Assuming you meant power steering box.....not pump running a SBC you should no clearance issues. If you do I would send those headers back ASAP! Summit doesn't make their own headers or any of their products for that matter....they get them private labeled from another manufacturer. Also, as crazy as this sounds double check to see if they sent you the correct headers for you car....it happens too often unfortunately. Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Make sure you have the correct frame stand/mount combination in your car. The 67-69 307/327 cars all used the same stands and mounts and the 67-68 302/350 cars used the same frame stands as those cars with different mounts. The 69' 302/350 cars used a shorter frame stand and taller mount specific to those cars only...if you install a set of 67-69 307/327 mounts onto a set of 69 302/350 mounts (it can be done) it will produce disastrous results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts