Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Camaro L48, Y-Y, C60, M35 Powerglide
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to go with the new Coker Firestone FR70-14 Redlines. These are the new radial redlines that are molded to look like bias ply tires. That is, the shape and the tread pattern look like the old bias ply tires, but they're a radial tire -- that's why they're an FR70-14 instead of F70-14. The car originally came with D70-14, so these are a size bigger than would have come from the factory. But, (1) there isn't a DR70-14 size and (2) the larger tire looks better to my eye and similar to the 215/70R14 BFGs the tires are replacing.

I haven't driven them yet, so I can't comment on the ride. But, side-by-side photos might help others who are thinking about tires. They're expensive. JEGS has them for $325/tire with a $100 off coupon and free shipping. That's a punch in the gut and close to 2x the cost of BFG Radial T/As.

Anyway, this is just for posterity for people to see the combo (and I couldn't, in good conscience, post to the sticky posts that all use an apostrophe, for some reason, to spell combos) ... I'm not fishing for complements.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
690 Posts
Decided to go with the new Coker Firestone FR70-14 Redlines. These are the new radial redlines that are molded to look like bias ply tires. That is, the shape and the tread pattern look like the old bias ply tires, but they're a radial tire -- that's why they're an FR70-14 instead of F70-14. The car originally came with D70-14, so these are a size bigger than would have come from the factory. But, (1) there isn't a DR70-14 size and (2) the larger tire looks better to my eye and similar to the 215/70R14 BFGs the tires are replacing.

I haven't driven them yet, so I can't comment on the ride. But, side-by-side photos might help others who are thinking about tires. They're expensive. JEGS has them for $325/tire with a $100 off coupon and free shipping. That's a punch in the gut and close to 2x the cost of BFG Radial T/As.

Anyway, this is just for posterity for people to see the combo (and I couldn't, in good conscience, post to the sticky posts that all use an apostrophe, for some reason, to spell combos) ... I'm not fishing for complements.

View attachment 294084

View attachment 294085

View attachment 294086

View attachment 294087
So it’s peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for awhile?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Great look

·
Registered
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
57 Posts
Looks good. I'm not sure if mine came with red lines or white letters originally. I failed to ask the OO before he passed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Very nice. Love these Firestone radial redlines. Looked into getting a set over here in Australia for one of my first gens but would've cost close to $1,000 a tyre..... extremely hard to justify.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They look great! The very type tire I'm trying to figure out how to rationalize. My tires still look good, but I know how truely old they are! Not eager to paint a red stripe on a more ordinary tire, but I've thought about it...

·
Registered
690 Posts
They look great! The very type tire I'm trying to figure out how to rationalize. My tires still look good, but I know how truely old they are! Not eager to paint a red stripe on a more ordinary tire, but I've thought about it...
All modern day tires have a date code next to the DOT stamp on the sidewall. Post a picture or 2.If there is nothing on the outside, check the other 3. If you can’t find anything, it will be on the inside.

·
Registered
1967 Camaro L48, Y-Y, C60, M35 Powerglide
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[...] My tires still look good, but I know how truely old they are! [...]
You have to be a little careful with tires. My BFGs still looked fine ... and would have looked like new above if I'd have spent the time with some Westley's Bleche-White to clean them up (it had been a few years since I properly cleaned them). With only ~20,000 miles on them, the tread still looked barely used. But, those tires were installed in 1991. Even though the car has been garaged, I don't think anyone would argue that a 30 year old tire is safe.

I don't know how old your tires are, but be careful out there. You don't actually have to look very hard to find people involved in accidents due to old tires (lost cornering grip, brake grip, etc.). It's not an urban legend concocted by the tire companies to extort money from early-replacement.

Reactions: BlueRibbon

·
Registered
68 Base Camaro 355 Offy crossram Richmond Super Street close ratio 5 spd ivy gold 92K SoCal car
3,083 Posts
Car looks amazing with the redlines! BFG-TA is a great tire but the Coker redline takes the car to a new level, good choice.

My BFG-TAs were 27 years old with only 4K miles, no one would remove them from my 7" ralley wheels and install on my new 6" ralley wheels because of the age.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Love the radial redlines! They look the part and drive well too. After total repaint in fall 2017 I put bias redlines on my 67. Look correct but driving challenging. More trailer time when show is more than 100 miles from home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went thru the same senerio, ended up purchasing my redline radials from Diamond Back Tires, they are P215 70R14 paid just under $1000 including shipping, this is the second set of tires I have purchased from Diamond Back. Just saying that Coker is not the only player.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts