Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Im new to this site and I have a 68 camaro that Im currently building with my dad. Its going to be a SS recreation 396 Big block car.

Only issue I currently have is what type of tranny to put in it...either a turbo 400, or muncie M21 4-speed? Trying to figure out which tranny would make the car worth more once restored.

Its orignially an automtic console car, so the 4-speed conversion with tranny will cost around $800-$900 more over the cost of putting in a Turbo 400.

Any input you guys have would be awesome!
Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome. You are under estimating the cost tho. The tranny will cost you that the cluch disk, flywheel, and presure plate, cluch pedal and linkage, clutch pedal springs, bellhousing, maybe new length driveline, shifter with plate. I'm sure there are more parts I have left out but looks those up and see were you are. I bet you will be alot more money than you think. But I think it is well worth it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. You are under estimating the cost tho. The tranny will cost you that the cluch disk, flywheel, and presure plate, cluch pedal and linkage, clutch pedal springs, bellhousing, maybe new length driveline, shifter with plate. I'm sure there are more parts I have left out but looks those up and see were you are. I bet you will be alot more money than you think. But I think it is well worth it.

Thanks for the reply. I looked up some prices and most places sell either a new B&M or TCI Turbo 400 for about $1,000. Torque converter around $150 and Flexplate is around $75 or so.

I found a place out here that sells rebuilt muncies for about $1,100.

So, With a centerforce clutch, Hurst shifter, Flywheel, and all the other micelanous 4-speed conversion items from classic industires, it will set me back about $900 more additional over the muncie tranny price itself.

So im looking at about $1200-$1300 for a turbo 400 trans.
OR,
about $2000-$2100 for a muncie M21 with all parts.

*Both these prices dont include if I need to cut the driveshaft.

Im Wondering if it will be worth the extra amount to put in a 4-speed or not.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Joe, from another So. Cal member :cool: :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome Joe from the PacificNW have fun with the project and above all enjoy your Dad thats one piece of the whole project you can never replace...and always Happy Motoring :beers:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Joe, where are you located in So. Cali?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! Glad to be apart of this awesome Camaro community!
Im in Orange County area.

By the way, do any of you know how to make a thread into a pole thread where people can vote?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi from 69camarojoe :D

Now is there a 67camarojoe ?

Haha. Hi 69CamaroJoe!

I Havnt seen a 67CamaroJoe just yet. Hes bound to pop up sooner or later.:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from another So. Cal memeber. I am also in Orange County, Rancho Santa Margarita. Going to the Seal Beach car show April 14th with the club I just joined, CRC. Maybe we will see you there.

Thanks HoosierDaddies67. What is CRC? I havnt heard of that before. This is my first Camaro im Restoring and Im new to the whole Camaro community. So far, I love it though! My 68 is awesome and I cant wait to complete it.

Ive had a few Chevelles before, and my father and I were apart of a Southern California Chevelle Club. I would like to learn more about Camaro Clubs as well in Southern Cali.

·
Registered
445 Posts
CRC stands for Cool Runnin Camaros. Check the link in my signature. They said i was the 60 or 61 active member so decent size club. Apparently there are 15 of us going to the Seal Beach show, all parking together on the main street. It seems like they do a lot of differnet things, I just joined so not to sure, but it will be fun to cruise with like minded Camaro lovers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts