Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a new gas tank, straps and rubber insulating strips in a friend's '69 Camaro. The rubber strips that go on the straps are longer than the narrow part of the strap and not wide enough to go over the wide part of the strap (does any of that make sence?). My question is, am I suppose to cut the rubber off as short as the narrow part of the strap or leave it long and put up with the bad fit? Also, there is a rectangle piece of foam rubber, about 3 inches by 6 inches and 3/8 inch thick, with the insulating strips. Where is this suppose to go?

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
The rubber with the ridge goes under the tank. Mine were too long and had to be trimmed. The square piece goes on top behind the sending unit to cushion the tank from the trunk floor. The 'regular' strips of rubber go on top to cushion the tank from the tank strap brackets. It may seem you need two more hands/arms at times.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's

·
Registered
647 Posts
Another good tip is to glue all the rubber strips down with weatherstrip glue before putting the tank in. This will save you some extra hands.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I did glue the strips on top of the tank. So do I just cut the strips with the ridges to fit the narrow part of the straps or should I cut the ridges off where the wide part of the strap is and leave them long?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
when I did mine, it seemed as though the rubber (with the lip) was too narrow for the tank straps. As I tightened it down though, I just bent out the lip on both sides and it fit fine once the strap was tight. They are too long, I snipped about 2'' from the end.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
I can't imagine why these parts outfits supply rubber insulators for the gas tank straps that drive everyone crazy trying to install their new straps - the cars NEVER had insulators on the steel straps - they only had three insulators - the two long ones (like roofing paper) that go on top of the tank to insulate it from the mounting saddles on the body, and the square one that glues to the top of the tank just rearward of the sending unit. The steel straps just wrap under the tank, with no insulators at all - that's why the straps are almost impossible to install with the extra rubber insulator strips that come in the "strap kits". The factory installed the entire tank, straps and all, in less than one minute - with NO insulators on the straps. Extra parts, extra problems

*****Edit 7/10*****

Check the A.I.M., UPC 8, Sheet B4 - no insulators on straps - just the two long pieces and the square piece on top of the tank. Mine is an untouched original 02D '69 car, no insulators on straps; yours will be the same unless someone added them.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine had 4 strips. 2 over the tank and two on the mounting straps. They were made of tarpaper, and I made replacements put of tarpaper. My straps were not prebent, so I meticulously fit mine to the new tank. A little contact cement on the strips, and it went right in, no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts