Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done a lot of wiring over the years but I have a very rookie question. I've never done this particular thing before.

I have new oil, temp and volt gauges (just installed tach) and instructions are pretty clear. It says to drain radiator fluid and insert the new sensors, wire it up. I'm just trying to locate these sensors to replace.

any tips on this I'd appreciate.
Also, if I am removing the old sensors and wires then the dash light that says TEMP and OIL will no longer have any use or light up correct?

also, I thought the temp sensor was on the top of the block.
its a 350 crate motor.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i believe the green wire is the temp, the oil unit is back by the distributor possibly although i need to look for it. A T fitting was mentioned to keep my original lights but these are electronic gauges so I assume my original dummy lights won't work when I switch to these gauges since I have to use new sending units.

This is ok with me but I just want to be sure. Ideally i'd like to keep all lights with the gauges.

I am wondering if I can leave the current temp sensor alone and find another unused area on the head where there is just a plug...put the gauge sensor there. ?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
In the picture Ken is referring to that is a temp sending unit. GM's wiring for the temp sending unit is always green. Also the sending unit can be screwed into either head. I have a temp sending unit screwed into my Victor Jr. intake about in the same place. Then I have an electric fan sending unit in the driver's side head. The dummy lights will not come on unless you have the correct sending unit and reinstall the factory wiring.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so I have about 3 unused (plugged) areas in the intake manifold where I can put another sending unit for the temp so I will just find the best one.?? As for the oil, I see now where I can get a T fitting to use the new gauge sending unit and also the current dummy light. So it's making more sense now. I just have to find the right T fitting which shouldn't be too tough. I think I got it now.

·
Super Moderator
32,611 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Looks like you have a crate motor with vortec heads, likely a newer block. The tapped hole in those heads for temp sender is probably smaller than what was used in the late 60's, so you'll likely need to use a spot in the intake manifold for that. Depends on the thread size of you sender.

For an additional oil pressure sender, look at the driver's side of the block, just above the oil filter. You will likely see a hex head pipe plug installed there. If so, you can install your oil pressure idiot light sender there. You will need a commonly available bushing to adapt the existing hole to 1/8" national pipe thread, and you will need to extend the wire to reach it. (I'm not sure if this spot would give the same reading as the one by the distributor, but certainly a good place for an idiot light, which turns the light on when no oil pressure is detected)

Then you can install the sender for your new oil gauge by the distributor without the plumbing mess of a T fitting.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I see a hex plug on both heads but the driver side looks more accessible and I can see some coolsnt residue there actually. May have a small leak from that hex.

The gauge kit I bought came with all different size fittings so I should have what's needed.

Thanks for the help everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts