Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a nice set of reproduction glove box (and trunk) locks. Everything looks and operates fine, except, the glove box will only open when the key is used.

What could cause this? After I installed the lock-latch mechanism to the glove box door, the cylinder for the key slid in fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I guess I'm confused, isn't the key supposed to be needed to open the glove box door like on the '67's?

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
I guess I'm confused, isn't the key supposed to be needed to open the glove box door like on the '67's?
Nope. Mine opens without the key and has been since 1985.

Check the throw on the latch with the door open. Might have to adjust the striker. Common sense evaluation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
With the door open, you should be able to visually see the latch in the cylinder move when the pushing the button in the unlocked position. See if you can assist it by pushing down on the latch when pushing in on the button. If it won't move, you might try lubricating it.
If it is functioning properly, you need to do some adjustment on the strike the latch connects to. You may just need a little more clearance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nope. Mine opens without the key and has been since 1985.

Check the throw on the latch with the door open. Might have to adjust the striker. Common sense evaluation.
I'll have to look into it. I go in it about once a year to put the reg and insurance paper in it, so maybe I'll try an remember to look at it the next I go in there

·
Premium Member
5,532 Posts
On a 69 IIRC the lock is turned to open the door. If you lock the door the slot is Vertical. You should be able to remove the key when the slot is horizontal and leave the door unlocked.

Jeff

·
Registered
863 Posts
My 69 required the key to open but I removed the pins out of the tumbler and now it turns without needing the key.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for responses. With the glove box door open, I still couldn't get the lock cylinder to open the latch without the key. After working it a bit, I was able to finally get it to operate correctly. I guess the part (a new repo) had to be 'broken in'.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts