Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm new on the site and just bought a 67 to do a Yenko clone. I just wanted to say hi and apologize before hand for any stupid questions. :)

Oh - I'll be looking for a 12 bolt posi rear end for the 67 (build date 1st week of Jan) and ANY info and pictures of 67 Yenkos - they are hard to come by!

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Cool. The hoods on the 67 and 68 yenko cars look great.

FYI - The correct word for "clone" cars this year is re creation. Re creation replaces the 2006 term "tribute" for 2007.
LOL
I saw this a bunch at this years auctions.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello and welcome to this site.:beers:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Bill to Team Camaro! :waving:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Could someone build a tribute to a cloned re-creation car?

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm new on the site and just bought a 67 to do a Yenko clone. I just wanted to say hi and apologize before hand for any stupid questions. :)

Oh - I'll be looking for a 12 bolt posi rear end for the 67 (build date 1st week of Jan) and ANY info and pictures of 67 Yenkos - they are hard to come by!

Thanks,

Bill
Welocme to the site.

I do have a question. If the car is a recreation, why does it matter on the dated coded rear? Wouldn't any 12 bolt posi do?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Call Ricks First Generation. They keep rare used parts in stock, but fair warning, they know what they're worth. Remember that a 12 bolt in a 67 with a big block would have had the mounting bracket for the radius rod on it also, good luck with that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome Bill,

Good luck with your car. I have a 68 Yenko clone (see photo on the map file) and enjoy it greatly.
The people at yenko.net have a great knowledge about the cars but will heap scorn on you if you tell them you are building a clone. How "correct" do you plan to make it? Can you get a hood through the aftermarket?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Bill,

Good luck with your car. I have a 68 Yenko clone (see photo on the map file) and enjoy it greatly.
The people at yenko.net have a great knowledge about the cars but will heap scorn on you if you tell them you are building a clone. How "correct" do you plan to make it? Can you get a hood through the aftermarket?
I have found a fiberglass Yenko Stinger hood via aftermarket but I am also hearing that no Yenkos actually cane with finberglass stinger hoods. Any words on this?

Also the reason for date coding on the rear was that the early 67's had a torque arm and non-staggered shocks according to sources. I can count the time since I began to do this project in hours still so I am very low on the learning curve.

Thanks for the welcomes folks!

Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
It was my understanding that 67 Yenko Camaros did come with fiberglass Stinger hoods. Maybe the first few did not ?? 68s did come with the twin scoop fiberglass hoods directly from Yenko.
Which engine are you planning to use?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was my understanding that 67 Yenko Camaros did come with fiberglass Stinger hoods. Maybe the first few did not ?? 68s did come with the twin scoop fiberglass hoods directly from Yenko.
Which engine are you planning to use?
Funny you should ask - I just posted a question about my engine search. I am going with the 427/425HP but I need to start the search for the block/shortblock. Any info on this would be helpful!

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you want to use a "correct" L72 engine, they are becoming more and more scarce and expensive. I know of one guy in California who sells parts and assemblies and claims to have "lots" of L36, L71, L72, etc engine blocks and heads. He owns an engine machine shop and advertises on Ebay selling L72 engine longblocks for about $15K . I'm sure there are a number of others who have access to L72 parts and maybe at lesser prices.
My clone has a 427 but it is not a correct engine and therefore was much cheaper to build. It all depends on how "correct" you want your clone to be.
Most people will never see the casting numbers. Also remember the L72 was an 11-1 motor with a fairly aggressive solid lifter cam. If your car will be a regular driver you might find a motor with less cam & compression would be a bit easier to get along with. You can build a very torquey 427 with 9 or 10 to 1 compression and hydraulic cam.
Sorry to go on - you probably know all this but if you have any questions, please ask.
Grant

1 - 16 of 16 Posts