Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new guy who lives in the rural area of north central Florida. Just purchased a '68 Camaro - which is a belated high school graduation present to myself...graduated in 68.

Runs ok but the first things I need to do are:
1. Fix a leaking front seal in trans
2. Want to change all brakes to disc - any suggestions of what type?
3. Want to add an AC - any suggestions of what type?

Thanks

Toyman

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro :beers:
Both Baer and Wilwood manufacture quality aftermarket brake systems for front upgrade and rear conversion. I am using Baer on my '67.

Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air both make A/C kits, there are advantages to both, you may want to search through some the older posts to find comments on the installation and performance. I am leaning toward Classic however I have not purchased the system yet.

Tom

·
Vendor
117 Posts
Not sure where exactly you're at, but we (NPD, National Parts Depot, www.npdlink.com ) are located on I-75 in Ocala, FL, and we stock numerous options for disc brake conversions, a/c systems, you name it.

The beauty is you get to touch/feel/inspect it before you buy it, as we stock everything (360,000 sq ft warehouse).

Welcome to N. Central Florida!! I've lived in this area since 1971, and absolutely love it.

Rick
NPD

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Welcome Toyman,

One lesson I learned is to take it slow with the upgrades. I started with a running car and it was nice to do upgrades a little bit at a time, one to be nicer on my budget but also so that I could install something and get the car back on the road. Then find more downtime to take on the next project.

I am upgrading to C5 front disks but leaving my old drums in the back at least for now but I have no real reason to change them as they seem to work well and I'm not doing autocross anyway.

So far I have replace my engine with a built 383, new variable ratio power steering box, all new suspension, new tires and rims, new exhaust, added subframe connectors and a host of fixes like new driver's side door hinges

My next project is the C5 brake and spindle upgrade, and right now I am adding the Dakota Digital tail lights.

I have a modern digital but old looking stereo still in the box that I need to install and oh yeah some day like you I want to install a modern AC.

Eventually I want to do a repaint :)

Lots and lots of projects but that is what makes it all fun!

Glad you found the site!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I too am taking it slow for a couple of reasons: 1. $$$$$. 2. My son is my restorer and he has a full time job which limits the time he can work on it.

Another question: my car does not have any type of temperature gauge. How do you guys that also do not have a gauge read your engine temperature? I suppose my question is what signs are you looking for?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I suppose my question is what signs are you looking for?
Detonation/piston rattle is a big one for overheating, but if it were me I'd put a temp gauge in so it doesn't get that far... Especially in Florida.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts