Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I retire I was planning to build a 'brand new 69 Camaro Convertible. I know it is not popular but I was planning to use the new body shells and new chassis to go along with all new everything else. The shells 15 grand, the chassis can run 15 grand with added options and the LS engine -transmission combo can run 15 grand before labor cost. That's 45 grand before paint, interior, and the rest plus labor for all of it. I don't know if I want to invest in the dream but I am here to learn all I can and learn who offers the best workmanship for a project like this.

Hi Forum!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Welcome to TC. Sounds like a great dream to have. It's not a cheap hobby that's for sure. You might be better off finding something already done close to your taste so that they take the hit on the build costs. If not, I am sure someone near you (where in Texas ?) will chime in and give some advice on a shop that can do good work. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome. I am near Houston. I am leaving the option of buying a more complete car open. Hopefully, I can find more info on cars and great custom shops here at this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. I am near Houston. I am leaving the option of buying a more complete car open. Hopefully, I can find more info on cars and great custom shops here at this forum.
Welcome to the club. I'm in Bear Creek/Copperfield area. More complete car the better. There are not a lot of shops that will work on the older cars anymore. There is a custom shop over off of Blankinship. Nice pictures but don't really know much about them. You say near Houston. Big place, East Houston is not even near West Houston. And once you find your ride you may want to think twice about driving it around here.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
There is a fellow I met a long time ago that took a Dynacorn Camaro convertible shell and cut out all the Camaro parts to make a 1969 Firebird Trans Am.

He hired someone to do the body work. It turned out to be a good looking car. He lives in the Woodlands.

He is a member of Houston Area Legendary Firebirds club. Below is the link to the club. You might be able to contact him through the club. His car is the blue Trans Am convertible in the list of photos in the link.

Houston Area Legendary Firebirds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the club. I'm in Bear Creek/Copperfield area. More complete car the better. There are not a lot of shops that will work on the older cars anymore. There is a custom shop over off of Blankinship. Nice pictures but don't really know much about them. You say near Houston. Big place, East Houston is not even near West Houston. And once you find your ride you may want to think twice about driving it around here.
I am actually in Beaumont/Port Arthur area. People not working on older cars was one of the reasons I was going with a new build. A new build would be mostly a bolt together job mechanically, but the cost of parts and labor plus the worrying about custom shops handling the build with care to detail is mindboggling. Buying a driver is good option but then you may be still dealing with other people mistakes while not having the car as custom as you like. Expensive either way for sure. You right I wouldn't drive in Houston often. This car hopefully will be a Sunday driver to the beach or park. Maybe a few car shows. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a fellow I met a long time ago that took a Dynacorn Camaro convertible shell and cut out all the Camaro parts to make a 1969 Firebird Trans Am.

He hired someone to do the body work. It turned out to be a good looking car. He lives in the Woodlands.

He is a member of Houston Area Legendary Firebirds club. Below is the link to the club. You might be able to contact him through the club. His car is the blue Trans Am convertible in the list of photos in the link.

Houston Area Legendary Firebirds
Thank you for the info. Great looking cars. I will ask about the shell build there.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
I am actually in Beaumont/Port Arthur area. People not working on older cars was one of the reasons I was going with a new build. A new build would be mostly a bolt together job mechanically, but the cost of parts and labor plus the worrying about custom shops handling the build with care to detail is mindboggling. Buying a driver is good option but then you may be still dealing with other people mistakes while not having the car as custom as you like. Expensive either way for sure. You right I wouldn't drive in Houston often. This car hopefully will be a Sunday driver to the beach or park. Maybe a few car shows. LOL
So you are probably about as far east of Houston Raceway Park as I am to the west.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
The race went on?
The race went on?
Cancelled Friday when it did not rain, got through 7/8 qualifying TF Sat before the skies opened up, Sunday not much better but eventually finished Monday. I have a lot of ticket credit for next year. I have learned that parking lot over the years. I knew when to bail.

·
15,217 Posts
Keep in mind. Hiring a shop to do the kind of build you're contemplating will cost close to $200K or more and will take about 2 years if you're lucky

Better to buy a complete running car and improve from there. Sometimes you can find a good project car for sale that was started by an overly optimistic person that underestimated the money and time it takes to build a car.

Reactions: Z282NV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cancelled Friday when it did not rain, got through 7/8 qualifying TF Sat before the skies opened up, Sunday not much better but eventually finished Monday. I have a lot of ticket credit for next year. I have learned that parking lot over the years. I knew when to bail.
LOL LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep in mind. Hiring a shop to do the kind of build you're contemplating will cost close to $200K or more and will take about 2 years if you're lucky

Better to buy a complete running car and improve from there. Sometimes you can find a good project car for sale that was started by an overly optimistic person that underestimated the money and time it takes to build a car.
I'm open to buying a complete car. I am open to just dreaming forever and saving the cash, too. LOL I see the prices for running cars and think maybe it is just a dream.

·
15,217 Posts
Now is not the time to buy unless you stumble across a good deal.. Prices are crazy. Keep looking.

Reactions: JUNZUN

·
Registered
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible
7 Posts
Sometimes you can find a good project car for sale that was started by an overly optimistic person that underestimated the money and time it takes to build a car.
No. I'm not sellin'.

Reactions: JUNZUN
1 - 20 of 20 Posts