Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I joined this site to help me through the steps of building a '69 Z28. The car isn't mine, I'm building it for someone else. This isn't my first build but it is my first Camaro. Forums like these are invaluable when it comes to advice and information when your working on a project, and I look forward to learning from everyone here.
Anyway, more about the car. The guy I'm building it for bought it back in the early '80's when he was a teenager. He drove it for a few years, took his future wife on dates, all the good stuff. In 1983, the car was a little worse for wear and he and his brother decided they would rebuild the car. They went to the local Chevy dealer and ordered EVERY single body panel and replaced them all on the car. (the panels still have the original GM stickers on the backsides of them, I wonder what they'd be worth now?) Then they had the car painted. After that the car went into storage waiting for the next phase of the rebuild, and that's where it has been since 1983!!!

He wants me to finish the car for him just like the car would have been in '69. The car is an original 4-speed car, but not an original Z28. However, he has managed to find a '69 vintage 302 which is currently sitting under my workbench. I'll be asking you folksl ots of questions along the way, since I was not there when the car was dismantled (I would have only been 6 years old in 1983!:p)

·
13,872 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Great start for a build. I would not bother with building the 302. The 302s are just not that good of street motor.

I'd do a 350 based roller motor and dress it as a 302.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Welcome Chris - nice story! Any chance you could post a photo of the pad stamp from the 302 you have there?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I to just started a project Camaro that looks almost identical to yours except blue. Looks like we will be learning together. The guys on this site are great and really know there stuff! And once you get done with that Camaro I promise you will want one for your self.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank guys for the kind words. I may try to talk the guy into a more "street friendly" engine too, but he's pretty particular when it comes to his cars. This isn't his first build either. Everyone of them has been exactly like what they would have been like coming off the showroom floor.
Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy ( he let me drive his recently finished '70 Road Runner, 440-6-pack, 4-speed).
As far as the stamp on the engine block goes, I don't have a picture handy, but I did all the on-line research to confirm it, and it IS a DZ block. He's trying to track down a set of heads and an original carb for it now. He has an original aluminum intake manifold and NOS Z28 valve covers.
Right now, I have the 12-bolt out on the floor and all the parts are on their way to rebuild it.
One thing we're trying to get sorted out is a good parts supplier up here in Canada, Ontario if possible. We've found one place called "Early Birds" and they are only 3 hours away. They seem like they will be a good place to deal with. Anybody in here from Canada had any experience with Early Birds?
:beers:

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Great start for a build. I would not bother with building the 302. The 302s are just not that good of street motor.

I'd do a 350 based roller motor and dress it as a 302.
I would disagree with statement that the 302 is not that good of a street motor.

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Welcome to the Club, Chris.
Good story and good luck with the journey.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Early Birds are Okay, Camaro Heaven might be more aligned with your needs.

Nice project, all the tough stuff is done !

regards,

Steve

Thank guys for the kind words. I may try to talk the guy into a more "street friendly" engine too, but he's pretty particular when it comes to his cars. This isn't his first build either. Everyone of them has been exactly like what they would have been like coming off the showroom floor.
Don't get me wrong, he is a great guy ( he let me drive his recently finished '70 Road Runner, 440-6-pack, 4-speed).
As far as the stamp on the engine block goes, I don't have a picture handy, but I did all the on-line research to confirm it, and it IS a DZ block. He's trying to track down a set of heads and an original carb for it now. He has an original aluminum intake manifold and NOS Z28 valve covers.
Right now, I have the 12-bolt out on the floor and all the parts are on their way to rebuild it.
One thing we're trying to get sorted out is a good parts supplier up here in Canada, Ontario if possible. We've found one place called "Early Birds" and they are only 3 hours away. They seem like they will be a good place to deal with. Anybody in here from Canada had any experience with Early Birds?

·
13,872 Posts
I would disagree with statement that the 302 is not that good of a street motor.
I bought a new Z28 in 69. It was my DD for years. They are great you if keep the revs up. Low end torque is the problem. Launch too low and it bogs too high and you blow the tires off. Solid cam can be tricky for some. The high compression may be an issue with today's 91-93 unleaded fuel.

Guess it depends on how he's gonna use the car. I drive mine.:beers:

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
and it IS a DZ block.
Sounds like a good build. Beware that engines get restamped all the time, and DZ is one of the favorite stampings. Like mentioned, post a good, clear shot of the pad. Guys here can tell you if it's restamped or not. If it proves to be a real DZ stamp, see if the guy will post all the numbers here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0 Somewhere down the road, someone may be looking for their original engine. Have fun!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again guys. I'm gonna head over to the restoration forum with my first car question. Hope to hear from over there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts