Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, names Ben, I'm 24 and live in WA state. Been looking around where I live for a 1969 Camaro and thought it would be a good idea to get on a forum. Currently have my eye on a Camaro in Montana that is supposedly a true SS car, but doesn't have the original motor, so I am waiting to see what the cowl tag says. My dad had a 69 Camaro base sport coupe with a 350 2bbl and 4 speed saginaw when he was in High School and I've always been a fan of the 60s Camaros so I am trying to find something close to what he used to drive. Looking forward to being a part of the forums.

Edit: A question for anyone that would know, did any 69 SS Camaros come with a regular flat hood? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, thanks. This car is pretty interesting. Has an old looking 350 that looks like it would be a date correct 350, it's an X11 car (I know you never know), originally 727 trim interior, but is all black now. Originally a 65B PNT car, now its like a 55B with z28 stripes. I looked at the cowl tag information he sent me and it lines up with the VIN so waiting on engine numbers. I don't think it is an SS, due to the hood, and no disc brakes, but this engine might be original, the carb doesn't look original, the fuel line routes around back and I know on the 2bbl the fuel line is up front and being it is an 09 month car, it should have the 2bbl, unless you can mount them backwards?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey Ben,
I'm John, down in Oregon. Welcome to a GREAT forum. There is so much info on this site, it's mind boggling.

There's a lot to consider when buying your first Camaro. I will try to be brief:
1. Do you want to drive it a lot? Get a car that has been some form of restored in the past so you don't have to go thru the WHOLE thing and restore every piece. This takes a lot of time and definitely snowballs when you get into it (ask me how I know). Pay a little extra if the driveline, undercarriage and/or body work has been restored. Then you can drive it and do improvement projects as you go.
2. Do you want to have your own "Restomod" hot rod that you designed yourself? Get something that is a good "foundation". Maybe a project someone else has started and some of the stuff is done.
3. Are you short on time/ have many obligations and yet want to cruise now and go to car shows etc. Spend more $$$ and get one that's done or almost done.
4. Are you very mechanical and a super achiever? Get a basic, solid Camaro and have at it. (similar to #2, but more of a project)

The good thing about a non #'s matching car, is that you can modify it w/o it losing value.
Be patient and wait for the right one.

Just my .02,

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to keep this short as well haha thanks for the information. Mostly looking for something that is solid and runs, clean or dirty, very little to no rust, more original the better (as far as drivetrain goes) the paint and trim doesn't matter much to me as far as originality. I don't mind mild body work, I have a friend that knows how to paint cars and does a good job so he could help me with that. I have no problem taking an engine out and rebuilding it, but I would much much rather have a strong running engine.

I am on the fence about original drive train though, I would want something I can drive and not worry about the engine failing and me losing my wallet because my born with engine threw a rod, but at the same time I want something that will be collectible and go up in value. So I guess I would sway either way so long as the value of the car maintains its current state and have something that I could pass down to my kids when I have them and something my father and I can take to a local show that happens every year during a town festival. I am definitely being patient though, I've let many go by over the last few months, I know when I find the right one I'll know it, so far this one feels good, but he's asking way too much unless it's original. Thanks again, looking forward to the forums :thumbsup:!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There is one thing to remember when buying a car. You don't buy any car as an investment. Try to have a professional go with you to check out the car. You see first gen Camaros bringing top dollar from auctions all the time. But these cars have under gone extensive restorations. They look better than they did when they left the factory. All parts are numbers correct is the reason for top dollar. Find you a solid rust free first gen Camaro that you can drive and do the repairs in the bad weather months. Here is a website for information on first gen Camaros. http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml I would try to find a 69 Camaro with a 350 engine, 4 speed Muncie M22 or M21, 12 bolt is the best rear with a second gen 10 bolt 8.5 as a second choice. Not original but mechanically sound. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Always nice to see young blood entering our hobby Ben. Buyer beware but it looks like you are already aware of that. Good luck on the hunt for your 69.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is one thing to remember when buying a car. You don't buy any car as an investment. Try to have a professional go with you to check out the car. You see first gen Camaros bringing top dollar from auctions all the time. But these cars have under gone extensive restorations. They look better than they did when they left the factory. All parts are numbers correct is the reason for top dollar. Find you a solid rust free first gen Camaro that you can drive and do the repairs in the bad weather months. Here is a website for information on first gen Camaros. http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml I would try to find a 69 Camaro with a 350 engine, 4 speed Muncie M22 or M21, 12 bolt is the best rear with a second gen 10 bolt 8.5 as a second choice. Not original but mechanically sound. Good luck with your purchase.
Yeah I guess I should have phrased that differently, I was more meaning from a collectable stand point rather than the amount of money I could make off of it or resell it for standpoint. Is there anything wrong with the TH350 or turbo glide 2 speed? I've read they're both really stout transmissions. My wife doesn't like driving stick and it would be nice if she could drive it as well, hence why I wouldn't mind an automatic. And thanks, I hope to find something soon, but I'll wait if I have to haha ;).

Always nice to see young blood entering our hobby Ben. Buyer beware but it looks like you are already aware of that. Good luck on the hunt for your 69.
While I've never owned a classic, I've always wanted one, even as a little kid, as soon as I saw what my dad used to own, I knew I wanted something from that era. Tried to get one for a first car, but the snow made my dad and I think otherwise. Now that I have a career I can finally officially enter the hobby once I find the right car. Thanks for the welcome :D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I would update on what I found out today. It is not a numbers matching car. The car had a 09A tag, based on the VIN it was built in September of 1969. The engine code came back T0920HS, which would be an LM1 matched to a TH350. So there we have it, not an SS engine, not a numbers matching engine either. Also, I see bumps under the vinyl top, I am afraid as to what is under there now. I think I will be passing on this car. Not to mention the clear coat is cracking and there is chunks of paint missing. Otherwise pretty solid car, surface rust underneath but nothing horrendous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts