Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all – Bought a 1969 Camaro back in 1987 for $ 3500.00Good running condition and had fun with it for about 2yrs. Then one day I decided to replace the cracked dash pad, well you know one thing leads to another. Full restoration done by myself 6 yrs later. Back then the Chevy dealers still had Gm replacement panels…Nice. So I purchased from Jake Sweeny’s Chevy – 2 New full quarters with inner and 2 new front fenders. The rest of the stuff came from Classic Camaro.

Here is the list of all new parts.

Metal Dash, Door Skins, Full Trunk pan, Full floor pans,Core support, Inner front fenders. All new interior except for the seats they were good. Rebuilt the 350 motor and all new brake lines. Left the car in primmer and drove it to a body shop and they aligned everything and painted it1992 Corvette Red with white SS stripes. Again back then $3500.00 Paint job proly would cost 10 grand nowadays.

Well long story short – Drove the car over the last 20yrs every now and then, Never has seen rain! Maybe a few washes. Sitting in my garage ever since. Got into Boats over the last 8 yrs. Even restored a 1981Checkmate with the help of iboats.com, complete restoration with a small block350. Another 5yr project.

So The Reason I am here, The Knowledge of all the experts and my wife wants me to get the car in safe/ reliable running condition so we can enjoy this fine Classic , not that it isn’t now but it has a few quirks that need to be done. Well you know how the better half can be,she spent a lot of her hard earned late 80’s money on this car to help me restore it and she has not been able to reaped the benefits. She say’s I put it away and kept it a secret from her for a long time. Can’t blame the girl and I do agree. We have been married for 30 yrs. Sorry long winded im done now.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome to TC. What project is first on the list Mike?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's for the warm welcome - First on the agenda is getting the car home from my mother-in-laws garage back in my garage. Thank goddness for kind sweet in-laws. iI am going to go to the proper area and start posting. Car runs and drives great but Having some electrical issues.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Welcome Mike.
Gotta admit to a little curiosity about how you hid the car from your wife at your mother-in-laws.

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Welcome, Mike, and congratulations on the marriage of 30 years to the same woman.
Enjoy the cruise here and buffet is upstairs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to TC Mike. Looking forward to seeing pictures of you car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome Mike.
Gotta admit to a little curiosity about how you hid the car from your wife at your mother-in-laws.
Well funny you asked that. My son has a 1982 Z-28 that my mom and dad gave him when they passed. it is parked at my mother - in laws also. So when i went and picked my car, my wife and mama went to the doller store while i got the car running. When they came back i had it sitting in the front drive and she said i thought you were getting the brown 82 car. She said i didnt even know that was in the back garage. So mama didnt know but the wife knew all along.

My son kinda help me work on the car over the years, you know sit in the car turning the steering wheel and shifting the shifter, from age 5 to 14 he is 26 now. The reason my wife thinks i kept it a secret is i would never drive the car and that i told her i was saving it for my son.
Here within the last 1 1/2 i have gotton back into cars. Bought a 1972 4-door Chevelle with 62,000 miles on it. my Daily driverwhen its not so hot out. No A/C. Bought a 72 C-10 also that im restoring over the winter. Got passenger side sheet metal all done last winter- Cab corner/ inner and outer lower door skin, rocker and partial floor, front lower front fender.Now i have to do the driver side this winter - Prime it and drive it
I have been looking for a 1966 Impala to restore, something ive always wanted. So i showed her the other day an Impala for sale for $5500.00 You could see the grass thru the trunk pan in the pictures. She said why do you want another money project when you already have a bad *** Camaro sitten in the garage. Take that money and put it into the Camaro. When i drove it home from mama house i hit myself in the head and said what are you thinking. I was grinnen from ear to ear.

So that lead me to here. ya know back in the day we didnt have the web like it is now and you either had to remember how it went back together or read it in a manual or know someone with experience. Guy's now a day's have it made with web sites as good as this one.

Thanks for listening,
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts