Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a pair of covers for my headrests. Any one know how to install these? You have to tuck the bottom under, but it is not form fitted. Do you remove the old cover on the headrest? Any thoughts appreciated.

·
15,375 Posts
I struggled with that as well.
My headrests were hard, as in the original covering was very stiff. I'm not sure if that's how they're supposed to be or they hardened over time. There was no way I was getting the covering off of the foam. I might have been able to cut it off and try to peel it off of the foam but I didn't want to ruin the headrests.

In order for the new covers to fit half way decent, I only cut the seam that runs along the top off. I used a razor blade and cut as close to it as I could, then peeled them off. That's because the new covers have extra seam material on the inside and the original seam made them stick out. I trimmed as much of that extra material off from inside the covers first.
Then I trial-fit the cover and decided which way the little bit of extra material that was left should be folded on the inside..... toward the back or toward the front of the headrest.

When I was happy, I slipped them down over the headrest as tightly as I could, then sprayed the underside with a generous amount of upholstery 'glue' I picked up at the auto parts store. I might have even sprayed the rest of the headrest with glue..... I don't recall at the moment.
I can't remember what I did to get all of that material to stay down while it dried.

I think I just I folded it as best I could so there were no wrinkles showing anywhere around the headrest, then put the plastic cover on and 'pinned' it on temporarily to the underside with golf tee's. The original foam was beaten to death so I had to find something that would pin the plastic covers on permanently once the glue dried. I can't remember what I used..... they're stored away right now.

That's the amateur way of doing it in your basement. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.