Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am restoring my first car - a 1968 RS Camaro. I am outsourcing everything because I don't have any mechanical or body skills myself...so I guess technically "I" am not restoring anything. I'm not looking to make a street rod, nor am I looking to do a purist stock restoration. I'm just looking to keep that classic look and have it run well and sound good - a muscle car that I can enjoy on the weekends. Anyway, I'm learning as I go, and could use all the advice I can get. Right now I just want the car to run.

To start I had the original 327 motor (matching numbers), matching 2-speed powerglide transmission, and decent body.

So far, I have had the following done:
New fenders, rebuilt quarter panels (no bondo)
Engine rebuilt (bored .30 over), larger cam shaft I was told?
New intake manifold
New 750cfm carb
New HEI distributor, plugs, wires
New radiator
New gas tank
New fan shroud
New shorty headers

Now I'm looking into exhaust and was considering Flowmaster. Any suggestions about pipe style, sizing, and how much I should expect to pay?

After exhaust, I would think brakes would be next. It currently has the original shoes - what should I know about disc conversion?

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Conan

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro ! I get over to Broomfield and to Brighton area a couple times per year and was surprised how many classic muscle cars are around the area. Sounds like you have a good plan on the restoration just keep good written records of all discussions with the folks doing the work so you don't get taken. On my original 327 I was running Hooker headers into 2.5" pipes with a balance tube into series 50 Flowmasters. Sounded nice but a little resonate at times. I'm planning to replace the Flowmasters with Magnaflows or Corsas in the very near future.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Greetings from Arizona.
I have a 69 Camaro droptop, 350 crate motor, 700r4 trans, 10 bolt firebird
rear diff(67). Hooker shorty headers with 2.5 pipes with single transverse
FLOWMASTER SUPER 40 muffler. sounds great . I personally don't like
mufflers hanging low under Camaro so I went with transverse style muffler
dual in and dual out. In Tucson it cast me $350.00 for system
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RIDE
Jay

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Welcome to team camaro!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I like Magnaflow over Flowmaster myself. Magnaflow is stainless and I like the sound of them over that of Flowmaster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts