Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 68 Camaro SS/RS with a 396 and a 4 speed. I'm sure I will have lots of questions since I bought my car in a box basically. Been going on Ebay just to find out what parts I have. I also have tons of extra parts for this car and other years that are extra. Please let me know if you need anything. I know some of this stuff is for 69 so I obviously can not use them. Looking forward to helping others with situations I have already experienced. I have restoed a few cars in my time but never a Chevy. Closest is a 68 Oldsmobile 442 conv. that is still in my garage. I am pretty good at bodywork and mechanical so I hope I can help.
Thanks,
JeffsSS

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Welcome Jeff,

Its good to have you here. Car in a box...... maybe you will start a new fad. As always we love to see pics of the camaro and the 442 also.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
welcome to team camaro!!

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Jeff
Welcome to the site and the best board on the web for 1st Gens......
Lets see some pics of the boxes.....lol.
Good luck with the project and get your hands on a AIM if you have not already...

8Ball

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sorry for the hit and run but I do work and travel a bit. Try to get on when I can. Also have a wife that needs attention....we all know how that works. She is still great and lets me pursue my hobby. I live in North Jersey. I am not sure what 69 parts I have since I have boxes and bins full of stuff I don't even know what it goes to. I do know I have the chrome that goes in an indent in front of the rear wheels and behind the doors. I also have a few wiper motors and a tone of chrome that came with the car. Most is in very good condition just not sure what I need vs. what actually even fits this car. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome. I am working on the electrical now. Purchased a new harnes from American. A bit of a pain but a nice complete whole car harness. How do I post pics of my build? Do I need to put on a website and put the link on here? I have pics of the process from what I brought home to now.
Thanks and looking forward to getting help and hopefully helping others.

·
11,267 Posts
Hey Jeff, Welcome back! :) Life does intrude on the hobbies, no prob, we understand :D The side chrome is most commonly called gill chrome, only very good GM or NOS ones are worth anything. Wiper motors, prices depend on part number. Only the bumpers and emblems are chrome, the rest is stainless steel (which polishes up nicely) or anodized aluminum, (which doesn't).

The pictures need to be hosted somewhere on the web (photo site), or if you become a member of TC, they can be stored here in the members showroom and linked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome from another N.J. 1st gen guy.

Let me know if I can help if you have any questions on where to go locally for parts and services.

Lots of good info here and great people with answers to most any questions.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for my lack of the lingo in the Chevy world. But gill chrome? come on it's not a fish. lol anyway I did know the rest was SS like on my 442. On the wiper motors is there a more desirable # that I can look for? I do have NOS Rally-Sport lettering and a couple of the Camaro by Chevrolet new but not in a box. Anyway this stuff is available more to help the gang out on here if anyone needs something they can't find especially those lucky enough to have a #'s matching beast. I will try to get pics up on a site so I can post here of the beast I am working on.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I live in Ramsey NJ. Just south of Mahwah. I wish I had someone close who has a 68 conv. SS/RS so I could see where some of these parts go. Is kinda hard looking at boxes of stuff and a shop manual to try and put this together. I have found out what many parts are from searching Ebay. That is how I found out what the cocktail shakers were lol. I am just starting to put stuff back in. It is really frustrating putting something in only to have to take it out again so I can put something else in that should have gone in first. Oh well. Anyone out there close enough with a 68?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking of puttin in a roll bar in my 68 conv. is there an easy bolt in or even a weld in roll bar available without having to be custom built? The interior is still stripped so now would be the best time to do it if I'm gonna.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts