Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm Dustin. I've been a member for a minute but not active. I have a 68 Camaro that I purchased almost 10 years ago. Several things kept me from working on this but now I have an amazing woman supporting me and it's time to begin. I purchased the car from a man I met at work. He bought the car, tore it down, and started the restoration. I think it was more than he had planned. He's more than capable but was easier to get a car in much better shape. Anyway, back to the car. It's a 68 Camaro. Originally had a 350 I think and had a 3 speed manual. Exterior was butternut yellow with black standard interior. The engine and tranny are gone. I'll need loads of help with this rebuild. I'll start a build thread to document the progress and share all the pics I have. I can't tell you how excited I am to really get started on this. I took over the garage and moved my air compressor out of the little shop.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome Dustin. So what are you plans for her - build a reto-mod or try to put her back with donor but original type of drive-train?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Welcome from SW MS. I used to live in NE MS (Amory) and passed thru Guntown a few months back. Still have a lot of friends in the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies vr1969 and 69-pace.
Plans... Modern muscle with classic looks. I want fuel injection for the power and reliability. I've tuned some tbi trucks and like the idea of tuning an ls engine. Im unsure of transmission. The frame has been powder coated and rebuilt. Eibach lowering spring and have a pile of components for disc brakes. The previous owner purchased the parts to make his own 4 wheel conversion kit. Was much cheaper than a shelf kit. I need to post the parts so others could do it too. Most of the sheet metal work is done. I need a lot of help with the remainder. I can weld but I want to make sure it's safe and the fit is good.

I'm originally from Baldwyn but love guntown. It's a great small town. We have 5 boys between me and my lady. Aging 15 to 5. My middle son Daniel plays travel baseball so we have to travel plenty. Have to use the remaining spare time carefully.

·
19,792 Posts
Welcome to TC :beers: Great year too ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Welcome, Dustin
Correct year and enjoy the newfound journey.
We here do understand, life does get in the way. Enjoy it.
Don't be afraid to ask, lots of good help here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome Dustin, like he said ^ you got the right year! I am starting a 68 renovation as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct year? Is there a secret feud about which first gen is the best? My father has a 69 rs and my mother has a 69 SS clone. They both need restoring and the ss clone has been stolen but that's a little off topic. I've love the first gens more that the rest. I paid 2500 for this car. Well it's a lot of parts that will eventually be a car.

·
Super Moderator
32,354 Posts
Correct year? Is there a secret feud about which first gen is the best?
No feud, personal preference, some like blondes, some like redheads, some like brunettes.

The '67's were built and people liked them.
The '68's came along and GM corrected their mistakes - added RPO WWD (Wing Window Delete), Astro Ventilation,
script emblems, wider outside mirrors, but still maintained the body sculpture and as viewed from the rear -
low flat hood with nice broad shoulders across the front axle, small waistband about the rear quarter windows, and nice flowing lines across the hips housing the rear wheels.
the '69's have different body lines, more subdued, and look at the rear quarters ...
They have those dimples - cellulite dimples on the hips...and gravity took over and covered the rear wheels.

Just personal preference...

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Welcome, Dustin. Like Ev said, there's no feud. '68s being the correct year is the general concensus of several around here. I think they are just envious of us '69 owners. l:) Enjoy the project and make sure to keep updating pictures!

·
13,869 Posts
No feud, personal preference, some like blondes, some like redheads, some like brunettes.

The '67's were built and people liked them.
The '68's came along and GM corrected their mistakes - added RPO WWD (Wing Window Delete), Astro Ventilation,
script emblems, wider outside mirrors, but still maintained the body sculpture and as viewed from the rear -
low flat hood with nice broad shoulders across the front axle, small waistband about the rear quarter windows, and nice flowing lines across the hips housing the rear wheels.
the '69's have different body lines, more subdued, and look at the rear quarters ...
They have those dimples - cellulite dimples on the hips...and gravity took over and covered the rear wheels.

Just personal preference...
Haha. I see it as the 67 was the get go and the 68 was test bed for the 69 which was and is perfect.

For sure I like them all:beers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts