Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am a new member. Great site by the way. I would like to hear some opinions on the folowing topic: I have a plane jane 67 with all the paperwork and protecto plate. It is marina blue with light blue interior. 6cyl, 210 with a 2sp powerglide, column shift. The only interesting option was the white bumble bee stripe $14 option in 67. The car is in driver shape with some areas that need attention. rockers, shock towers. the dark side is pulling twards pulling the motor and going to a small block? I have seen so many ss clones and chopped up cars and wonder if I should leave it alone. Everyone who sees the car seems disapointed when they hear it is a 6 cyl. Although not a hot rod it is still a blast to drive. I am torn....

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome Chris!
I have a Plain Jane '68'vert with protect-o-plate, etc..
I saved the original 327 and PG, but am having a blast with my 383 stroker and 700R4.

The only person your Camaro needs to please, is you..
It's yours, whatever you decide, be proud of that Jane, no matter how you dress her up!

You will always find people who are dissappointed about something.
Always remember that their biggest disappointment is;
....you have a Camaro and they don't HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My car was an original 6 cyl/powerglide/column shift car as well,I was in the same predicament with mine and torn between leaving it alone or making an animal out of it. I chose a happy medium...floor shift steering column, V-8,recently tremec 5-spd,pos gear,wheels, etc.With the exception of the hole in the floor for the stick I did nothing to the car that is not reversible.Further I kept everything...tagged and bagged it right down to the bolts,so if I or anyone else gets the urge, it can be converted back with relative ease...my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome Chris. If the car is original and you are looking at the car as more as an investment, keep it original with everything it came with. On the other hand.... if you want to have fun with your car and don't care about it's originality.....then drop a bigger engine in it. Keep the 6 cylinder and the other parts if you want to sell the car later on. It's your car and you will have to decide what's best for you. Whatever you decide.....Good luck with it! Post some pictures soon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to the site. I could give you my opinion, but I'm probably the wrong person to answer this one. Here's what I did (still doing) to my numbers matching Plain Jane convertible....

Before...

After....

I might have gone a little overboard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, those red seats are over the top.:D

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Hey Mark, I know you have put a lot of time and $ in to your creation and please don't take this the wrong way, but I truly wish I could say I liked where you are heading. I guess I'm just too set in my ways, but please know that I do respect your ability as a craftsman. I'm just being honest with my personal opinion. I hope you have all the enjoyment and then some that I get from my 69 Camaro. Charlie

And Chris, I would definately pull the existing drivetrain/suspension and opt for a newer & modern setup that will be more roadworthy. As noted, just keep all of the original equipment just in case you decide to sell the car one day and a purist (maybe like me) shows up! Charlie

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh, I wasn't trying to steer anyone in this direction. It was more of a joke when I posted that. My car is defiantly not for everyone. And, even thought I built it to drive on the street, it's not "as streetable" as if I just put a little more modern suspension and drive train in it. I was gonna do a Big Block Pace Car clone originally. It's gonna be more of a cruise night car. I know it doesn't look like it, but I could bring it back to stock or a more tame driver if (and or when) I wanted to. I may convert it from it's current Pro Street status to a more stock appearing "G Machine" type of ride in the future. Maybe a modern LS2 type of drive train. Ya know, lose the blower out of the hood and tubs and stuff. But, I'll enjoy it like this for the time being. To me part of the fun the "car thing" is the project itself. If the car had been a more desirable car (SS, RS, Z11, Big Block car) I would not have gone in this direction. I know a lot of people out there are gonna say I "hacked up" a Camaro convertible. But, even thought the car was in pretty good shape when I bought it (and looks ok in the picture) the only original body panels on the car were tail panel and possible the trunk and hood. Most of the tail panel was rusted and needed to be replaced. The floors and the dash also needed to be replaced. It would have needed a complete restoration. If I had spent the money restoring the car back to "stock," I'm not sure would really be worth money it would have cost to do it. I've been a Chevy and Camaro guy for as long as I can remember. My first car was a 74 Camaro Type TL. I was hooked after I bought that one. I like all types and styles of Camaros. This look is just what I felt at the time I started the project. If I started it all over today, I would probably do it differently. I'm sure it won't be my last Camaro. It will probably be my last Pro Street car. Whatever anyone members do to their car, I'm sure they will be nice. They have to be... It's a Camaro!

Hey, let's see some pictures of that ride.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
CamaroJakes, It is your car and you need to do what you desire with a first gen camaro. The hot ticket now is the LS1/2/7 motors and 5/6 speed trans. You will have a nice camaro when you get done with it. It doesnt matter what people tell you because it is the way you wanted the car. My 69 was a plain jane and that is why I prostreeted it almost 13 years ago and dont regret it. My 69 that I prostreeted I have had for 24 years. I also have a 69 SS X55 car too. Plus doing a protouring 69 w/ 502 ramjet w/ T400 and gear vendors overdrive. Just have fun with your car.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I started down that "dark road" shortly after bringing her home 7 years ago...
The PO had welded what was left of the original exhaust system back on ("sorta!") to get the car sold... well I replaced it with Hooker headers and a Flowmaster exhaust.
Then I couldn't stand the powerglide so I swapped in a muncie.
Then...well one thing led to another, year by year and...
When she rolls out of the garage this spring, she'll be
An SS clone G-Machine with a numbers matching 383 and a five speed!

And I just can't seem to stop.

I don't regret it though. Through the years I've turned a "nice old car" into a fully modern hot rod that can go anywhere, any time. High performance in every meaning of the word, and total reliability.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have a plane Jane. But she is my plane jane and I love her have umm nevermind. I love working on it, have fun with YOUR car.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Hello everyone. I am a new member. Great site by the way. I would like to hear some opinions on the folowing topic: I have a plane jane 67 with all the paperwork and protecto plate. It is marina blue with light blue interior. 6cyl, 210 with a 2sp powerglide, column shift. The only interesting option was the white bumble bee stripe $14 option in 67. The car is in driver shape with some areas that need attention. rockers, shock towers. the dark side is pulling twards pulling the motor and going to a small block? I have seen so many ss clones and chopped up cars and wonder if I should leave it alone. Everyone who sees the car seems disapointed when they hear it is a 6 cyl. Although not a hot rod it is still a blast to drive. I am torn....
Like was mentioned before, if you want it as an investment and its a # matching car leave it alone and buy another to beef up when you can. My RS started out as a 6 cyl but was not numbers matching car and needed alot of work. I wanted to have fun with it. I figured buying a 6 cyl gave me a better chance that the car wasnt beat on bigtime.

I am putting in a BB468 and a 4spd (hopefullt 5 someday). I want to have some fun. When my son is old enough to drive and can appreciate what a camaro is then I'll put a 6 cyl back in and let him drive it :)

No matter what you decide, its a camaro and congrats. Welcome to TC !

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Hey Mark, not only am I impressed with your craftsmanship, but more importantly; your willingness to listen to other points of view. I'm actually starting to warm up to where you are headed especially considering where you started from and that you have options for the future. The important thing is you are clearly having fun and no doubt learning a lot along the way. Charlie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts