Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 z28

Hi: I just joined the forum. Lots of good information on this site. I just bought, about a month ago, a 68 Z28. A real barn find. I live in rural Midwest. I heard about this 68 Z28 that has been in this barn for 33 years that was for sale. The guy I bought it from, bought it in 1980 from his brother. It was about 5 miles from my house. It did not have the original engine. I know where this is going! The guy I bought it from knows what happened to the original engine. It is not to be found though. I also know the 2nd owner that bought it in 1970 from a Chevrolet dealer. When he bought it, it had 302 emblems on the front fenders. The car was built in Jan. Therefore, 302 correct for the build date. The car does have the original M21, 12 bolt, power disc front brakes, 3/8 fuel line, rear bumper guards, exhaust hangers on the rear frame rails. But the tire decal in the glove compartments has 14 in. wheels. What is up with that? Is it possible the wrong decal got put on at the factory? The car is from owners documentation a Z28. In 1970, they did not have to clone a Z28! Will update as I progress with restoration.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 68 z28

I think I should have posted this in Welcome Wagon first. Whoops. Anyway, new to the site.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi: I just joined the forum. Lots of good information on this site. I just bought, about a month ago, a 68 Z28. A real barn find. I live in rural Midwest. I heard about this 68 Z28 that has been in this barn for 33 years that was for sale. The guy I bought it from, bought it in 1980 from his brother. It was about 5 miles from my house. It did not have the original engine. I know where this is going! The guy I bought it from knows what happened to the original engine. It is not to be found though. I also know the 2nd owner that bought it in 1970 from a Chevrolet dealer. When he bought it, it had 302 emblems on the front fenders. The car was built in Jan. Therefore, 302 correct for the build date. The car does have the original M21, 12 bolt, power disc front brakes, 3/8 fuel line, multi-leaf rear springs, rear bumper guards, exhaust hangers on the rear frame rails. But the tire decal in the glove compartments has 14 in. wheels. What is up with that? Is it possible the wrong decal got put on at the factory? The car is from owners documentation a Z28. In 1970, they did not have to clone a Z28! Will update as I progress with restoration.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Well sounds like you have some pictures to take and post for the members here to look over. Welcome aboard Team Camaro.

·
Super Moderator
32,298 Posts
Welcome, Roger
Correct year and correct model.
Congrats on the find. Could the glovebox door have been swapped out?
Remember, the glovebox door was the '60's ancestor to cupholders of today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vin is: 124378N373595. Will post pictures in the next couple of days. To Mod: Should I now post in a different Topic Category?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The vin is: 124378N373595. Will post pictures in the next couple of days. To Mod: Should I now post in a different Topic Category?
Welcome aboard! If you need any assistance let me know as 68Z's I'm a lovin'........ Check out my 68Z build thread as its full of information. Oh, and our car was built and purchased in Jan. and had the 302 emblems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am trying to download pictures, but seem to have a problem completing. I have tried 2 times. Is there a trick or are my images too large?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
If you are not a member you have to link from a website other then here using image tags in your posting, or beter yet become a full member here and then you can upload images and pdf's direct in your postings. :) There is a size limit on the uploads displayed in the up-loader window.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The car is very solid. The previous owner had Gm quarters put on just before he parked it in 1981. I don't believe he drove it after that. There is a small rust hole on the very bottom, rear of the left quarter where the tire was flat and the body sat in the mud. I have a patch panel and will cut out that section and replace. That is the only rust repair needed. There are a couple of quarter size holes in the trunk. Easy fix also. The interior was in the car. When I removed the carpet, the floor is just surface rust. I did check that out before I bought the car. The worst thing done to the car was where and how it was stored. 33 years in that type of environment is hard on stuff.

The previous owner also thru in a DZ bare block. Good shape. And a SS hood. What do you guys think this package was worth?

I will add more pictures later, now that I know how to load them.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It looks pretty solid. Is the color burnished brown or is that just primer. Those emblems on the front at from a 70s Z. The 302 emblems look cool on the fenders. I saw one on a brand new Z back in 68. It was the first Z I had seen and it did not have the stripes. In fact it was a very plain car in Grotto Blue, without spoilers, the only clue it was a beast was the 302 emblems on the front. Looks like a worthwhile project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts