Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank everyone for adding me to your group!
This is my 1968 Camaro RS. Found it as a project (literally, as seen below) in 1990. Non-matching engine (it is a 350). Blue (Ash Gold car). Automatic (with a B&M shifter), traction bars, flat hood, rust around the rear/front windows, door dings and a mini steering wheel. :) And I couldn't wait to drive this awesome car. I could barely afford the car let alone fix it up.
1992 (pic 2&3) We got er done. Just in time for some Historic tags. I couldn't have done it without all the help from my friends! My goal was to keep it looking mostly stock. I chose Champayne Gold instead though. The air shocks stayed on. ;)
Over the years, I was referred to as the guy that ran around in the gold Camaro. I drove it to work on and off and in 98' a few of us pulled the engine and put a healthy cam in it. Heck, I even sold it and took on a couple of 66' Mustang projects to keep my mind off of not having the Camaro. Only a few years went by and I was fortunate to be able to buy it back.
Today, (bottom pic)
Last 5 years or so (too long), I haven't been running it and it's just been sitting in the garage. So I thought reading about others working on Camaros would be inspiring and could help me with some projects I might have this winter in order to get this up and running again. Hopefully in time for Spring Car Shows.

Again, I appreciate the invite to your group! The first thing I plan to do is look into my current engine situation. The 350 has good compression in all cylinders except for #6. It has around 100. The others are all 170. I have a lot of BlowBy that I can't explain so I will be checking into this first.
I like to thank R66, rogerh, and 3forme for a brief conversation prior to this one.
Thanks,
Chris

Sept 90'
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Aug 92'
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Oct 93'
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Sept 22'
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Premium Member
Good looking car and a great story. Except maybe the mustang part.馃 Sounds like you may have a cracked ring on #6.

1968 Camaro LS swap, TH350 FMFVB, 5000 stall, 12 bolt w/ 35 spline and spooled 4.10's
Welcome to TC, good looking ride. Just watch as some posts can be pretty old ;)

What part of MD ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking car and a great story. Except maybe the mustang part.馃 Sounds like you may have a cracked ring on #6.
Thanks. Only had the Mustangs for a couple of years. Funny thing, the one I restored was Gold too. Coincidence only. The convertible, well I traded for a Kawasaki motorcycle. Only have the Camaro now. Yes, I'll be checking this engine out soon.

Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
Great looking car and welcome! I too, have a Ash Gold '68 that I bought in '86, sold in '01 and just recently bought it back from the guy I sold it to this year after being separated from it for 21 years. I wasn't crazy about the Ash Gold at first but it grew on me since everyone else's is either black, red or blue.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
I've had countless people call it the "green Camaro" and have favored the Champagne Gold. Mine is a bone stock fully optioned car so I elected to keep it as it was originally.

Registered
1967 RS Camaro / 1968 RS Camaro
I want to thank everyone for adding me to your group!
This is my 1968 Camaro RS. Found it as a project (literally, as seen below) in 1990. Non-matching engine (it is a 350). Blue (Ash Gold car). Automatic (with a B&M shifter), traction bars, flat hood, rust around the rear/front windows, door dings and a mini steering wheel. :) And I couldn't wait to drive this awesome car. I could barely afford the car let alone fix it up.
1992 (pic 2&3) We got er done. Just in time for some Historic tags. I couldn't have done it without all the help from my friends! My goal was to keep it looking mostly stock. I chose Champayne Gold instead though. The air shocks stayed on. ;)
Over the years, I was referred to as the guy that ran around in the gold Camaro. I drove it to work on and off and in 98' a few of us pulled the engine and put a healthy cam in it. Heck, I even sold it and took on a couple of 66' Mustang projects to keep my mind off of not having the Camaro. Only a few years went by and I was fortunate to be able to buy it back.
Today, (bottom pic)
Last 5 years or so (too long), I haven't been running it and it's just been sitting in the garage. So I thought reading about others working on Camaros would be inspiring and could help me with some projects I might have this winter in order to get this up and running again. Hopefully in time for Spring Car Shows.

Again, I appreciate the invite to your group! The first thing I plan to do is look into my current engine situation. The 350 has good compression in all cylinders except for #6. It has around 100. The others are all 170. I have a lot of BlowBy that I can't explain so I will be checking into this first.
I like to thank R66, rogerh, and 3forme for a brief conversation prior to this one.
Thanks,
Chris

Sept 90'
View attachment 298581

Aug 92'
View attachment 298590

Oct 93'
View attachment 298591

Sept 22'
View attachment 298583
The last pic reminds me of my first Camaro, a 67 RS Camaro painted the same with the vinyl top, I really wished I could have kept it.
Welcome aboard New Member, glad to see you are finally getting to your Project.
Keep us updated, everyone will be looking forward to any progress that you do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had countless people call it the "green Camaro" and have favored the Champagne Gold. Mine is a bone stock fully optioned car so I elected to keep it as it was originally.
Thanks. Under the fenders and below the cowl, I left the original Ash Gold paint. I'm good with having the odd color at the car show. Back then when it was time to paint, I told others it was "like a green color" and I looked at all GM golds and chose this one. Years after did I start to see the same shade of gold. I believe this was a 1970 Champagne used on a Corvette. But over time, I have agreed with others that the older colors used in the 60s makes it just that much cooler of a color. I'm afraid I might have some engine issues coming up and may need to look into another one. I like the 396.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last pic reminds me of my first Camaro, a 67 RS Camaro painted the same with the vinyl top, I really wished I could have kept it.
Welcome aboard New Member, glad to see you are finally getting to your Project.
Keep us updated, everyone will be looking forward to any progress that you do.
Thank you. I talked with an old car friend from back in the day, yesterday. Him and I were looking at some things we can do to get her running again.

Registered
1967 Camaro L48, Y-Y, C60, M35 Powerglide
More click bait that I fell for ... again!

Welcome to the group ... but that car is nowhere near 68 feet long. I was psyched to see a massively long car and, instead, saw a regular length car. I also want to see a pic of that 66 foot long Mustang you mentioned, but I suppose I'll never see that, either. :mad:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm willing to help if needed. I'm hopefully about 6 months away from getting my 69 back on the road. It's been a solid year since I started and about 5 since it has been on the road.
Thank you very much! If I have a cracked piston like it is looking like it might be, I am going to learn what my options are in order to replace it. Right now, I could be convinced to buy a crate motor or maybe do a LS swap ( which I鈥檝e never considered before ) or simply find a cheaper running small block so that would buy me some time to give this LS swap more time to consider. I can replace a 350 easily myself but a LS swap I would need to look into and get some more help. Thanks again, I鈥檒l probably be starting a discussion or two a little down the road!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts