Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - I recently picked up a 67' coupe for my 15 yr-old son. The car was in a barn for the last 8 years (only 10min from my house!) and the price was a steal. Not original motor but a very solid rust-free Calif Camaro, and I actually drove the car home! My wife is not thrilled about the car selection (no air bags, shoulder belts, etc. etc.) However, both of my boys are excited about this father-son project - Hey, what could be better than wrenching on a first gen with your sons???

Geano in Santa Rosa, CA.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I did the same thing with my stepson when he was 16. He's now 20 and we still have the car. I let him make all the decisions and share in the labor, but I pretty much bankrolled the project. It's still not 100% complete (are they ever), but we continue to work on it while he's in college. About two years ago, he traded it to me for a newer Tahoe, so now its technically "my" car. However I've already promised him he gets it when he graduates from college. (Seems like a nice "carrot" to keep him in school.)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Welcome to Team CAMARO :thumbsup:

I quess I have to agree with the wife on the safety aspects - these cars are for a day and age where that stuff wasn't available or required.
I do insist all my kids cars have anit-lock brakes and Air-bags so I see where she is coming from.
I think the best way to get the kids to understand the shortcomings of the vehicle is to have them involved in it from day one and teaching them to understand how it is going to handle, stop and the reality that they will probably be more injured in a crash in it than a more modern vehicle.
Once they know the shortcomings and get some sense of pride in doing the work themselves, hopefully they will respect the vehicle and take care in driving it.

Hope you enjoy searching the site for info and project support. There are a wealth of past posts with more info than you can believe just a search away.
Type in your keyword and use a * after the word and it will get you the best results for most things.
Feel free to ask any questions by starting a new post if you can't find exactly what you need.

You might also want to visit the Camaro Research Group (CRG) at www.camaros.org
It contains a bunch of information and reports on items you will find on your car.
Many of the CRG members are also on this site.

Looking forward to you inputs in the threads;
John

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro Geano. Good luck with the father and son project! :waving:

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Welcome from the high desert....:D

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Welcome to the team from Pacifica, Geano! Post some pictures of your 67 when you get a chance....Santa Rosa is a beautiful area....My parents and 2 brothers live in up the road in Windsor...:thumbsup: :D

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Welcome GeanO ,and good for you you made the right slection 1st gen camaro ,if safety is a concern ,plenty of mid 90's cars for cheap with anti and air bags ,save the camaro for weekend afternoon shows or ???....Happy Motoring

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am also a new member. I live right down the street, and have a 67 RS that I have owned since 1989,about a week before the earthquake.
I cant wait until my kids are old enough to enjoy this hobby with me. I have three boys 2,5&7.
how long have you lived here?
Have you been to the cruise/show in Windsor? There is a great one there in the summer I think it is called peggy sue?
:beers:

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Well, welcome also Brandon, :) It is called Peggy Sues, I attended the first couple of years in Windsor. This years show has been moved to Santa Rosa. It is a 3 or 4 day affair...I would go, but my parents 3 car garage is now a storage facility, so no room for the camaro...:clonk: Mike:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Brandon - I was born and raised in Santa Rosa, yes, a local boy. I've always been a Chevy-man and I'm just happy my boys are into the muscle car gig. I've haven't owned a "real" muscle car in 20 years - last one I had was 68 vette convertible 427/435 (wish i still had that!). I take my boys to all the car shows around here and there are some really good ones: Cloverdale, Petaluma, Geyserville, and of course Santa Rosa. Would love to get together and chat camaros and kids. Send me an email and maybe we could share some stories. - geano

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Welcome from Modesto....... did I hear someone mention wine LOL.

Geano, I'm known around these parts as the resident wine-o, so don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep someday with an empty brown paper bag. Gotta go now... I hear a glass of port calling my name :)

·
Super Moderator
32,360 Posts
Welcome from the Beach!

Straight car, good luck with both, car & kids.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts