Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TC. Tell us more about your Z28. How long have you had it and is it an X33 or X77 car? Some photos would be nice.
Hi Joe nice to meet you. I’ve got a lot of pics because I decided to restore it and I’m about half way through. In short It’s a X33 Daytona Yellow. I bought it for a work car for 1800 bux a long time ago.
I will read the forum rules as soon as I get time and post some pics and if allowed a google photo link.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Joe nice to meet you. I’ve got a lot of pics because I decided to restore it and I’m about half way through. In short It’s a X33 Daytona Yellow. I bought it for a work car for 1800 bux a long time ago.
I will read the forum rules as soon as I get time and post some pics and if allowed a google photo link.
Hey Joe, I think I read rule’s correctly so I can post a link. One thing though… I’m not trying to do this by the book or be correct by anyone’s standards my buddy and I are doing it my way and I’ve change my mind three times since we started about how far to go so there’s a lot of **** that’s probably not correct. .. but here ya go. 1969 Z28 Restoration

· Registered
5,428 Posts
Welcome to the site. Looks like a nice car and you are doing a great job with it. I think you'd better ask an expert on trim tags here to take a look at yours, though.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good golly! That's looking good! Thanks for sharing.
Welcome to the site. Looks like a nice car and you are doing a great job with it. I think you'd better ask an expert on trim tags here to take a look at yours, though.
Thanks We should probably coat it. We started out with a completely different project then decided to do it differently. It’s the original tag though. My neighbor is Mick Price he decoded it for me a long time ago.
I’m open to any suggestions and I appreciate it.
Murphy

· Registered
1,929 Posts
Thanks We should probably coat it. We started out with a completely different project then decided to do it differently. It’s the original tag though. My neighbor is Mick Price he decoded it for me a long time ago.
I’m open to any suggestions and I appreciate it.
Murphy
Murphy, I don't think that is what buenymayor was trying to tell you. Z28's as well as other high end muscle cars get faked all the time. It is possible that someone before your time removed the trim tag and replaced it with an X33 coded tag. There are people on his site as well as others that know the exact characteristics of these tags and can determine if the tag is legit and whether it has ever been removed from the firewall. In addition to this, have you checked all the hidden VIN numbers to confirm they all match? Does your car have original born with drive train?

Here is a link to CRG website. This is the go to place to learn more about first Gen Camaros and decoding trim tags, engine stamps etc. We don't mean to scare you but it's always better to know what you have rather than think you know what you have.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I’ve had it for 46 years. I’m open to any expert information on the car. The original engine was blown I just took the intake and etc. off of it and put it on a 350. It’s not the original tranny either.

· Registered
1,929 Posts
Thanks I’ve had it for 46 years. I’m open to any expert information on the car. The original engine was blown I just took the intake and etc. off of it and put it on a 350. It’s not the original tranny either.
That is a long time and a very good chance that everything is OK. From what I can see, the trim tag has an 02D body build date code (02D = February 1969 4th week). Your VIN however is early February 1969 in the build sequence which may not be in line with a late February date on the tag. But what the heck do I know. Lets see if some experts chime in and give their opinion on it.

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a long time and a very good chance that everything is OK. From what I can see, the trim tag has an 02D body build date code (02D = February 1969 4th week). Your VIN however is early February 1969 in the build sequence which may not be in line with a late February date on the tag. But what the heck do I know. Lets see if some experts chime in and give their opinion on it.
i had Mick Price look at it, he said they match but we shouldn’t have skimmed the firewall so Bro

· Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you. You are probably helping me more than you know. I had Mick Price look at it and the numbers match but he said we need to knock everything down where we skimmed the firewall. I’m gonna put the clutch fan back on it and the cowl air breather and all of that. We went from putting a big block in it to a more conventional restoration. I appreciate any input I find it very interesting so thank you guys again.

· Super Moderator
1967 RS Bench seat 327/2bbl/PG
33,797 Posts
Welcome to the club
Nice restore/work you've done to her - Bravo tango!!!
Don't be afraid in asking questions - lots of talent/knowledge here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts