Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of those stories you will love or hate. I am the 2nd owner of a neglected 68 Convertible. When i bought it from the original owner it was sitting in the weeds and dirty, having served duty as a swap meet truck for the old man that had bought it new off the lot. The original 327 had died long before and been replaced at the junkyard with a Pontiac mystery motor from the early 60's. I have since owned my 68 Convertible for 22 years and it is as ugly as the day I got it.

i always said I would get the drivetrain where I wanted it and the last thing I would do was make the car pretty. So I found a 68 era 350 punched it out to 381 and added some AFR aluminum heads back in 94. The powerglide was replaced with a Muncie M-21 with Hurst linkage. The 10 bolt was thrown out and replaced with a 12 bolt with 4:11s. the gears were not my choice and had come with the rear end. I freshened up the front end with Carrera coil overs and Fatman tubular a-arms in 97. A relatively new company named Baer brakes emerged shortly later and i dumped the drum front brakes in favor of their first gen Serious Street disc brakes on the front while loading all new rear drum brakes on the back.

Gents, then I got married. Don't laugh but my life changed so fast and in so many ways, we moved so many times that the only change I did not make was the old Convertible. in fact before i got married i made my soon to be wife swear that we would never sell the old Vert. Well we didn't, but life, marriage and all that it throws at you sure slowed down my progress.

Well here I am 22 years later still messing with the car. Nice interior, but not perfect, nice drivetrain, still needs help and one ugly exterior with three shades of primer and 25 year old left overs from a bad paint job on it.

Which brings me to this. SEMA. Every year I read about these amazing cars that go to the SEMA Show in Las Vegas every November. They are built by local Hot Roddin Guys like me and they are built by the Chip Fooses and Troy Trepaniers of the world.

Well if the wind is blowing just right and the Gods of Muscle Cars shines down on me, my ugly old convertible might make it there this year.

I have some great people that have watched me struggle to hold onto this car, through ups and downs, hell or high water. They know I have always intended t to be an amazing Pro-Touring kind of thing. It's just that LIFE has a way of interfering.

That being said, i might get a chance to place my car in the hands of some of the people that make the rest of us drool. I know some of you guys have those kind of cars now. You are to be commended because I know it is really hard to accomplish, find the time, energy, technology and MONEY to pull it off.

If my car gets to become one of those I will be quite proud of the work i have already put into it to become this and the parts, the work and energy others will donate to achieve show-car status.

Hey, if for some reason it doesn't make it there this year, I have finally put enough scratch together to get it the decent paint and body work it has needed all these years, so either way it is going to look great and soon.

i will document it in pictures and video on my own site and will share with all of you here as it goes through it's stages.

I have visited this site many times and all of you guys are serious and helpful to each other and that in itself is what this is all about. You have a great webpage here and you are always decent to one another.:hurray:

Thanks for reading this and helping me turn my car into the American Classic it was always supposed to be.

James

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey James, Welcome...I see that you have been here a few times already. We look forward to seeing some pictures of your 68...don't worry about taking soooo long...at least you have owned it all those years which is more than some of us!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Welcome to the TC Crew, James...try to remember that it's the journey...not the destination that really counts... but is difficult to appreciate when that last bolt strips on ya, while having dirt fall into your eyes when under the Cam for the umpteenth time.:)

Great testamony on your part!

capt

·
Registered
984 Posts
Welcome to the site James, and congrats on your '68'vert.
It may take longer than you think, but don't ever give up..
Live your dream and enjoy the journey.
You've got the best Camaro ever built.. :thumbsup:
BTW -mine just got plates, after sitting in MN for 28 years. (1980)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts