Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's more like an old man's garage find. :yes:

Hiya folks.

Name's John, I go by "The Redeye Knight". (Long story)

I'm now the proud owner of not only my first Camaro, but a very special one.

On the 13th, I got a call from an old friend. One of my older brother's classmates.

He wanted to tell me that the 69 Camaro that his father had was up for sale. This car is the one that made a Chevy guy out of me in '72 or so. I was amazed his father (now in his 90s) still had it. It's been driven around 5K in the last 25 years.

When I called the old boy, he told me what he wanted for the car, I told him he was nuts, and could get several times that at auction. I was ~tersely~ informed that (I paraphrase) he didn't need the money and he wanted the car to go where it was loved. Not to a reseller.

It's a base model with manual everything. 89K original. Early production, it's equipped with a 2 bbl327, HD 3 speed and single exhaust.

Even has a quadraphonic 8 track player in the dash. :disco:

This car hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

Please see the attached image. :beers:

The original color was Le Mans Blue, but it was sloppily repainted burgundy. I plan to restore the original color.

A very mild driver. All the performance of a sixer, without that pesky fuel economy! :eek:

This isn't only a terrific find, it's rediscovering an old friend that I thought was lost.

The plan is, front discs, aftermarket sway bars front and rear, and gas shocks. This in addition to freshening up the front end. Not gonna touch the drivetrain. It runs like a happy cat.

I've got about a million questions, so I'll try and really cruise the board and read a bunch before I ask.

John
Redeye Knight

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Wow too cool! ask away and welcome to Team Camaro.

You will have to search pretty long and hard, ...but you just might find a few other 69 lovers around here....

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome to the Team John. That's an amazing story. Glad you ended up with the car. Why can't I have good friends like that ;)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
When I called the old boy, he told me what he wanted for the car, I told him he was nuts, and could get several times that at auction. I was ~tersely~ informed that (I paraphrase) he didn't need the money and he wanted the car to go where it was loved. Not to a reseller.

John
Redeye Knight
Exact same way I got my car John....Guy told me he was passing the torch , not selling the car.
Mine is a survivor with 40K orig miles.
Keep her safe, and welcome!

Uncle Tupelo

·
Super Moderator
32,286 Posts
Great find, nice car, excellent luck. Welcome to the Club!

Don't be afraid to ask, plenty of knowledge here. Did the previous owner name the car?

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
Thats an awesome story John, welcome to Team Camaro. Great car too. Im sure the old guy will want to see your resto process as well, take lots of pics as you go along and share them with him, and Im sure you will but take him for a ride when its all safe with new hoses and belts and tires, etc. His smile will be worth millions. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tstone's sig reads:
"Classic's only cost alot if you add up how much you spend"

LMAO!

Tstone, as a guy with a garage full of old Harleys, ('35, '42, '51, '60, '78, '88, '04) I can certainly relate. I've *got* to steal that line! :thumbsup:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redeyeknight04/album?.dir=a7a8scd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redeyeknight04/my_photos

Ordered new brake lines today. All brake cylinders seem to be tight. No leaks. Front seal looks good too. Water hoses and belts look to be relatively fresh.

That CA smog pump and corresponding manifolds gotta go tho. :wacko: Noisy damn thing. Ugly too.

I'll likely replace the rear cylinders when I upgrade the front to discs. Then blow everything out with solvent and put DOT 5 in.

Any recommendations for gas shocks these days? Those KYBs are getting mighty spendy of late.

Here's a few shots of my new baby, some are with it still coated with dust in the place I pulled it out of.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redeyeknight04/album?.dir=fd8fscd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redeyeknight04/my_photos

Redeye Knight
Kittitas, WA

·
Retired
26,595 Posts
I might be wrong but isn't that a 350? Don't the 327's have the alternators on the other side?
It's a '69 vs '67 & '68 thing. All '69s got the alt on the pass side. 327's came in early '69s and were replaced by 307's part way through the production year.

I'm interested in the smog, I had a '69 Calif Camaro 327 2bbl that didn't come with smog (I was 2nd owner back in late '70's) Mine was a powerglide and this ones a 3speed stick. I guess that made the difference. I just rebuilt a carb on a '70 307 2bbl PG Chevelle that doesn't have any smog and it's a 100% survivor.

Anyway that really has nothing to do with anything, Redeye welcome to TC and thanks for the pictures. It's cool to hear when someone finds a deal out there...Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I might be wrong but isn't that a 350? Don't the 327's have the alternators on the other side?
To be honest with you, I haven't checked any numbers. The VIN shows it to be early production. I'm not a Camaro scholar, (yet) so I'm still in the dark about many of these things. :confused:

When it was purchased, it was a very low miles bank repo. I *do* know that it's been untouched other than maintenance since the early '70s.

At some point I'll clean up the engine compartment and get the block #. Then I'll know for sure.

Not that it matters much to me. It's a really sweet little driver.

Redeye Knight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a '69 vs '67 & '68 thing. All '69s got the alt on the pass side. 327's came in early '69s and were replaced by 307's part way through the production year.

I'm interested in the smog, I had a '69 Calif Camaro 327 2bbl that didn't come with smog (I was 2nd owner back in late '70's) Mine was a powerglide and this ones a 3speed stick. I guess that made the difference. I just rebuilt a carb on a '70 307 2bbl PG Chevelle that doesn't have any smog and it's a 100% survivor.

Anyway that really has nothing to do with anything, Redeye welcome to TC and thanks for the pictures. It's cool to hear when someone finds a deal out there...Enjoy!
Thanks.

I just went out and looked, and as long as that P.O.S. smog pump is there, I have no hope of seeing the number.:clonk:

I don't think it's a year thing. I knew a guy that moved to WA from CA with his 60s Ford van with the itty-bitty sixer, and it had been retrofit with a smog pump.

My car's in WA now, and that pump's outa here as soon as I find manifolds!

Anybody out there have a proper set of exhaust manifolds for this thing? the more I see this smog pump the more I hate looking at it. (As well as listening to it) :mad:

Redeye Knight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That POS smog pump might be worth more than the entire engine. Your engine looks correct, like I said all '69s got the pass side mounted alt.
LOL! That would be sad...

I *do* plan on saving the pump and the manifolds, in case I want to return it to "original" status. Same goes for the front sway bar and drums/spindles too when I upgrade the brakes and suspension.

I just hate the look and sound of the thing. Not to mention not having to fight the stuff when performing maintenance. I like the nice clean look too. (No comments please, I haven't had time to pressure wash anything!)

There's a fella in NV in the classifieds that has a set of non-smogged manifolds. I'm emailing him now.

Redeye Knight

1 - 20 of 34 Posts