Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am an oldtimer who raced as a very low budget privateer in the early days of the SCCA Trans-Am series - 15 races from 68-73 at the eastern tracks and a few more later. Raced at Lime Rock, St. Jovite, Bryar, Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio and Michigan and club races at Mosport and Harewood. Also was able to do the 1969 Sebring 12 hr. Also did some IMSA Camel GT races in a 69 camaro race car (ex Mo Carter) in 72 and 73. Best T/A finish was 9th at the 71 Lime Rock T/A and did get 3 podiums in class with co-driver friend at the Camel races. We did all this on a shoestring budget - open trailer and an old pickup tow vehicle, used parts and tires etc. and had a great time. I was living in St. Catharines Ontario then (home of 2 GM plants).

Most of these races were done in a 67 ex Z 28 that had a full cage, updated J 56 brakes, and stiffer springs and Koni shocks. It was one of the first Z 28's imported into Canada by Hamilton Chev dealer and racer Mo Carter. He drove it in the 67 Shell 4000 Canadian rally, then club raced in 67. I bought it in the spring of 68 as a roller. Sadly, it was sold at the end of the 72 season and was later wrecked at the Pinecrest Speedway stock car oval and parted out.

I presently have 2 3rd gen race cars - an ex Canadian Players GM series camaro that was driven by Ron Fellows in 87 (similar to showroom stock road racing), and an 83 Firebird race car that is similar to the current SCCA A sedan class.

Both cars are for sale as I would like to make a 67 replica of my early camaro race car - nothing fancy like a Penske T/A camaro, but a simple low budget car very similar to what I raced some 40 yrs. ago.

If anyone knows of a former A sedan project racer or even a street car that neds help but would make a race car, please lat me know. At my age it will be my "last kick at the can".

Would also like to have contact with any former T'A drivers, crew, officials, workers, spectators etc.from those T/A days.

Any questions about those T/A days will be gladly answered.

Cheers,

Robert Barg
Coquitlam BC (near Vancouver).

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Welcome Robert,
This is a very interesting short story of your racing life I'm not much on the roundy round stuff but this sounds like fond memories for you.Good luck in finding your 67 I'm kinda a 69er because of my brother owning two of them when I was a kid.How old were you when you drove the 67.....

·
Super Moderator
32,434 Posts
Welcome from the Beach, Robert.

Quite the journey you've taken plus the plan for the future. Godpseed on your journey.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wow.....:hurray:someone on the board that raced with Mark Donohue (Penske), Parnelli Jones, Dan Guerney and Sam Posey....:bow:...

Do you have any pictures from those hay days...even some Polaroids that you can scan and share with us...especially that 67 you had!

I wish you the best in finding another 67 to duplicate.

Coquitlam is a very nice place, I have family in Penticton.. I live in Kingston just a few hours from your old home town...

CHEERS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts