Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have been researching this website for sometime now and decided it would be a good idea to join. Please don't hate me but I have a 68 Firebird Convertible to restore. There has been some body work done on this car in its past history, and not of the highest quality. It looks like a full trunk and floor pans are needed as well as firewall, rear quarters have been replaced at some point, inner wheel houses need replaced outer ones have been patched may change them as well. From researching this site it appears that the best thing to do before I begin is build a body jig to put my car on, at this time I have no plans on how to build one. I would like to build one that would allow me to move the body in & out of my garage for sandblasting as disassembly moves forward, any help in this area would be appreciated. Thank You for your help in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro!

We love Firebirds as much as Camaros. Well, at least I do. An F-body is an F-body in my eyes.

What engine/ tranny combo? Color? Pictures are requested of all new comers (if you have any).

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Hi John, and welcome, I also am a proud owner of a 68' Firebird Convertible, 4 speed, 350 HO car with 36000 original miles. I have since restored it and painted it Candy apple red. I don't know about building a jig, but I do recommend NOT sandblasting or soda blasting. Sandblasting can cause warping of the body panels, and soda is just a PITA, it gets everywhere, and hides in every nook and cranny. This is just my opinion, and I recommend sanding with a DA and 80 grit, anytime over soda.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Welcome to Team Camaro!

We love Firebirds as much as Camaros. Well, at least I do. An F-body is an F-body in my eyes.

What engine/ tranny combo? Color? Pictures are requested of all new comers (if you have any).
+1

Team Camaro is a site that will welcome members no matter what they drive, unlike some others.

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts
Welcome John to the site. Before I would start building a jig I would go to a few shows and question a few guys that have obvious frame off rebuilds and see if they were wanting to sell their jig. Good luck with your project.

Roger

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg Here is some pictures of my 68 Firebird, I purchased this car in the condition you see it on the trailer. The previous owner had owned the car for 5 years and didn't get the restoration completed, he said it was ready for paint I knew better then that. Someone had put floor patch panels in and did a poor job, They hid their poor workmanship by covering the welds in body filler. Upon further inspection I realized that the floors need to be replaced to make this car solid again, so the disassembly began. The car is now in my garage on jack stands, as you can see from the picture its just the bare shell right now. The motor you see is a rebuilt Pontiac 455 and has never been fired, the hood scoop will not be used on my car. I have dreams of a 6 spd Tremec but will probably have to settle for the 4 spd Saginaw that came with the car due to financial constrants.

·
Super Moderator
32,600 Posts
Welcome, John.
Correct year, enjoy the journey for it will reward you in the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts