Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Classic cars are once again being singles out

New taxes are going to be levied against classic car and hot rod owners. Seems that in their infinite wisdom, a handful of Michigan Legislators and Lawmakers have banned together to put the screws to all of us car buffs once again.

These Legislators have decided that the hot rodders of Michigan should fill the empty coffers with much needed dollars. These fine ladies and gents in Lansing have snuck a bill through which piles on a very substantial tax called the Michigan Vehicle Modification Surcharge. This ‘surcharge’ only effects registered vehicles 30 years and older.

This tax is preposterous, it will tag on 20% additional onto your registration fee. Understand this, the 20% charge is not from the cost of your plate renewal, but the ‘total worth’ of your vehicle. To top it off, the state will setup mandatory appraisal locations through the entire state, similar to the emissions test facilities.

All eligible classic cars must get an approved appraisal prior to getting your yearly tabs. Oh, by the way, there will be an estimated $50 charge at the vehicle owner’s expense.

It gets better, the 20% charge will taken from the ‘newly acquired appraisal’ of your vehicle, less the original purchase price.

Here is a quick example:

1940 Willys Street rod now worth $30,000 less the original cost in 1940 of $2,200 = $27,800 Tax at 20% = an additional $5,560 due when you renew your license plates!

I am fed up! All of us car guys need to unite and stop this absurd taxation of our passion. Together we have a loud collective voice of voters. We can put a stop to this madness.

I have taken the liberty of contacting a legal organization known as the Friends Of Overtaxed Licensees. This group is made up of car people like you and me and will represent our cause in Lansing and convey our concerns.

You may have already heard of this group. F.O.O.L. is otherwise known as APRIL FOOL!

- Taken from the April 2004 issue of the the Cruisn’ News http://cruisnews.com/

·
Registered
507 Posts
Man, you had me going there for a minute.I was thinking that that kind of non-sense occurs in California first. ;)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
and here I was getting ready to call Jennifer Granholm -- our wonderful Canadian Governor . . . :rolleyes:

I bit until the part about the tax being added onto our registration fee -- I don't have to renew with historical plates.

·
Registered
598 Posts
VERY FUNNY, I was ready to head downtown and read somebody the riot act.
Guess we should have seen that coming.
yuck yuck
Kevin

·
Registered
107 Posts
ahahah I was thinking...what the heck are people thinking these days! I guess I should have known!

·
Registered
436 Posts
69->
<-OverAnxious
Havent had a chance to read Cruisn'News lately...Not much cruisn' going on these past few months...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ohhhh Baby you had me going too.....I was ready to fire a letter off to Jen...good thing I finished reading the post first

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good one!
Being from Ca. I thought this sort of thing only happened here!
Just think... someone here will come up with this sort of idea. April Fools today......
Tomorrow..... Reality.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
my wifes dad live's in MI and I was getting mad and it don't have nothing to do with me , whewww that was wild !!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey Joe...Do you live around 16 mile and Groesbeck?..Reason I ask is, I did an addition to a house and a guy across the street had a car just like yours.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Joe you got me!

Sad thing is with the "fees" she has put into effect lately it was believable. Remember where she got her college education and it makes sense to how her thought process works. I particularly like the $140 "fee" for no proof of insurance, even if you are insured and bring the tag in the next day. Then for the next two years you get to pay it again. Luckily enough of our representatives have heard from their constiuents and realize this is beyond outragous. It's being rescinded soon.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by OverAnxious:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 69:
Hey Joe...Do you live around 16 mile and Groesbeck?..Reason I ask is, I did an addition to a house and a guy across the street had a car just like yours.
I do :D
The guy who did our floors does also, maybe you saw the car at his place?
Was it bare metal or in primer?
</font>[/QUOTE]If I'm not mistaken, the street name was Drexel...The car was in primer when I saw it...Man, your in walking distance to Heartbeat City!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by 69:
If I'm not mistaken, the street name was Drexel...The car was in primer when I saw it...Man, your in walking distance to Heartbeat City!
That wasn't me but I did stop to see a complete '67 in reddish primer for sale on Drexel (Or maybe wendell?) a few weeks back. It is a base coupe with a V8, rough driver. Guy was asking $9K! :eek:

Yeah, Heartbeat does have some nice items. He's a bit optimistic on a few prices though :D

[ 04-04-2004, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: OverAnxious ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts