Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a muscle car exhaust note but now with my 355 H/C motor (replaced iron head 327) these 40's are LOUD. Currently still have stock 327 iron manifolds but will be replacing those with Patriot mid length headers so assume the exhaust will not get any quieter with the headers

In searching this forum and chasing several sound clips I am "considering" these DynoMax Super Turbo's Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers 17733

Not sure if these will make it too quiet as I have not found a representative sound clip. My motor makes 411 FWHP with a 220/224 cam

So the $67 ? is go a "turbo" style muffler or another chambered type. Not only are the 40's loud & raspy under WOT the "drone" on Fwy is considerably more than it was and stereo on stun has a hard time overcoming the exhaust. Can't believe I am biatching about exhaust sound but I need to tame this down some

If someone has a similar motor set up with the DynoMax Turbo mufflers, please post a link if you have a sound clip. The DynoMax site car sound clip is a 2010 Camaro CAT back...not the same so looking for a Gen 1 SBC H/C clip

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
one of my friends has 2 vehicles with 40’s. A 72 Chevelle with a 540 and a truck with an 8.2 built with marine parts. The Chevelle is tolerable but the truck is wake the dead loud. Both are 3” systems exiting out back. He hasn't figured out why they differ but they are being swapped off the truck too.

·
19,839 Posts
I went Ultra-flo's but also went 3" true duals. Yes, the tone changed.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^, I just saw that clip. I have had these before on another car and like them. Nice tone to them. I prefer these vs the "Ultra Flo" ones. These mufflers are straight thru vs chambered like FlowMaster or Spintech

and yes I have over axle pipes dumping behind rear tires

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
If you want to save your hearing, stick with the Super turbos. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like a muscle car exhaust note but now with my 355 H/C motor (replaced iron head 327) these 40's are LOUD. Currently still have stock 327 iron manifolds but will be replacing those with Patriot mid length headers so assume the exhaust will not get any quieter with the headers

In searching this forum and chasing several sound clips I am "considering" these DynoMax Super Turbo's Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers 17733

Not sure if these will make it too quiet as I have not found a representative sound clip. My motor makes 411 FWHP with a 220/224 cam

TIA
Dynomax Super Turbo #17733 will definitely be quieter than FM 40's. They are the 14" long version, so they won't be that quiet, especially on a high compression engine, but they will be quieter with a totally different tone than a chambered muffler. That is a center-outlet muffler, and they make a 20" version, but not sure if 20" mufflers will comfortably fit under an F-Body. #17733 is good for 372 HP before it even starts to become a restriction, so you should see an increase in power too as the FM 40's are good for around 300 RWHP before becoming a restriction. If you need a center outlet 14" & 20" are your only choice, but if you could use an offset outlet then you have a 16" version available too. Offset/Offset turbo mufflers tend to flow a little better too. There is a YouTube channel called 'Nick's Garage' where Nick installed 17733 mufflers on his restored '70 Challenger R/T. They were a bit too loud for his taste but he was looking for more of a stock sound. I had several phone conversations with Nick about this, and he ended up using Dynomax bullet mufflers as resonators to quiet it down. Check out his videos about the 'Kowalski' Challenger- I think there's one with those mufflers before he put resonators on.
Dynomax has a chart with all of their mufflers' SCFM and 'Loss Free' HP ratings. The Loss Free rating is HP level at which the muffler starts to restrict. Very informative. Go here and click the link under the Dynomax section-

Exhaust 101 - Classic Muscle Car Exhaust

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have read the DynoMax site and listened to the various sound clips...a;thugh the test mule is a 2010 camaro CAT back car so not a real good audio comparison to my motor

On further review I will be getting FlowMaster FX mufflers. They are SS and fully welded straight through muffler. Considerably quieter than the 40's and not a chambered muffler. Great low tone and not raspy when WOT and they flow better than the dynomax as those have a "S" perforated pipe vs straight through

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Flow FX is your typical straight-through perforated-pipe muffler. Same design as MagnaFlow, Pypes Race Pro, Dynomax Ultra Flow etc. The sound and flow difference comes in the amount/size of the perforations, and the acoustical packing used. Please let us know what you think once they're installed. I'd love to know your opinion of them.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Flow FX is your typical straight-through perforated-pipe muffler. Same design as MagnaFlow, Pypes Race Pro, Dynomax Ultra Flow etc. The sound and flow difference comes in the amount/size of the perforations, and the acoustical packing used. Please let us know what you think once they're installed. I'd love to know your opinion of them.
Yes and if you go to DynoMax, Flowmaster, etc site they list their mufflers from quiet to loud with a few different "straight through/perforated" ones getting progressively louder and one without any packing around the perforated tube inside the muffler.

In the various sound clips I here the motor may or may not be close to what mine is so there is more a "interpretive" opinion on what they will sound like with my car. With that said I want a straight through vs chambered and the Flowmaster FX, from the clips I hear, is the closest to what I "hope" will give me the sound I want is the FX. They are also welded SS vs the Dynomax Ultra's crimped rolled edges and a little cheaper

If it was just about running down to cruise night with a loud a$$ car I would leave it the way it is but I drive this car often and for several hr drives so I am over the hard rumble/rasp at WOT/drone on Fwy of the 40's. Ironically several of my friends are doing the same thing.

I have another 12 second SBC car 383 H/C headers with SpinTech Sportsman XL's with DynoMax bullet straight through round mufflers as resonators before the turn down tips. They are chambered but mellow until you get on it and still no where near as loud as the 40's. Never really been into poser mods/sound...you can have fast and not stupid loud

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yes and if you go to DynoMax, Flowmaster, etc site they list their mufflers from quiet to loud with a few different "straight through/perforated" ones getting progressively louder and one without any packing around the perforated tube inside the muffler.

In the various sound clips I here the motor may or may not be close to what mine is so there is more a "interpretive" opinion on what they will sound like with my car. With that said I want a straight through vs chambered and the Flowmaster FX, from the clips I hear, is the closest to what I "hope" will give me the sound I want is the FX. They are also welded SS vs the Dynomax Ultra's crimped rolled edges and a little cheaper

If it was just about running down to cruise night with a loud a$$ car I would leave it the way it is but I drive this car often and for several hr drives so I am over the hard rumble/rasp at WOT/drone on Fwy of the 40's. Ironically several of my friends are doing the same thing.

I have another 12 second SBC car 383 H/C headers with SpinTech Sportsman XL's with DynoMax bullet straight through round mufflers as resonators before the turn down tips. They are chambered but mellow until you get on it and still no where near as loud as the 40's. Never really been into poser mods/sound...you can have fast and not stupid loud
WELL

·
Registered
10 Posts
SoCal, Just want to correct one thing there. The Dynomax Ultra Flow is a fully welded muffler. You were probably thinking of the Super Turbo, which is the traditional crimped rolled edge. That doesn't make it a cheap muffler though. I have one customer up in New England who is going on 18 years on his Super Turbo's. The rest of his exhaust is falling apart, but the mufflers are hanging in there! BTW, Pypes is coming out with a fully welded version of the Super Turbo soon. Again, let me know how those FX's work out.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
You all will think I am crazy but here goes. 2 of my 69's have shop exhaust systems. 1 has a 70 LT1 Dyno at 380HP, the other is bone stock 350/300 HP never been rebuilt with 56K miles survivor. 2.5 both with aluminized pipes with stock manifolds, no name turbos, both installed in 1990 for $120 and are still fine and the stock one is so quiet you can hardly hear the engine. . . . .a lot complimentary comment at shows! The LT1 has a nice rumble but is not annoying like my other 3 hot rods with FM and Dynomax, big pipes and headers! Just another boring story from and old guy.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I've never run 40 series Flowmasters but I ran 50 series 3 chamber Deltaflow's in 3" on my car for years. I chose that muffler because my car was a daily driver back then and I didn't want it to be loud. When they first put on the exhaust the shop left off the crossover pipe and it was loud and had drone. I took it back and had them install the crossover which toned it down and eliminated the drone. Years later when I went to the Dynomax Ultra Flow welded muffler, again in 3", I was surprised that the car didn't run any faster. On the motor it ran 11.20's at 120 and 10 teens at 130 on a 175 shot. That's a 355 in a 3,400 pound car. The 60 foot times on the motor were a bit slow at 1.58-1.60 because of the tight converter and gearing that would let it run up to 160MPH. The nitrous improved the 60 foot times to high 1.30's to low 1.40's. Again, I saw no improvement going from 3" Flowmaster 50 series to Dynomax Ultraflo Welded mufflers. I did like the sound of the Dynomax better, so I guess it was worth it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
WELL HERES MY TWO CENTS WORTH. YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THE DYNOMAX SUPER TURBOSTHEY ARE A GREAT NICE SOUNDING MUFFLER AND THEY DONT DRONE. THE LONGER ONES WITH THE 20 INCH CASE ARE CALLED THE ROADRUNNER MUFFLERS IN MY OLD CATALOG . THEY REALLY SOUND NICE BUT YOU WONT FIT THEM ON A CAMARO OR NOVA TYPE CAR. THEY ARE FOR CHEVELLE TYPE CARS. THE DYNOMAX AR DURABLE ALSO THE 1773 IS A VERY POPULAR NUMBER FOR MANY APLICATIONS. THE NEXT BEST THING IS TRHEY DO NOT ATTRACT ATTENTION TO YOUR CAR SO THAT YOUR NOT ON A FIRST NAME BASSIS WITH THE BOYS IN BLUE. THROUGH THE MANY YEARS I HAVE HEARD THEM ALL HUSH THRUSH PURPLE HORNIES SMITTY,S BELOND EQUA FLOW AND VARIOUS OTHER GLASSPACK MUFFLERS. THERE WERE SOME I LIKED BUT OVER ALL YOU CANT BEAT THE DYNOMAX HANDS DOWN . ALEX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts