Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i thought about restoring my dash, but then I was thinking of swapping out my dash with a new OER one, since they re-tooled them. After seeing this new oer dash assembly on Ebay I am a bit skeptical. My dash may be just fine afterall.

Does the paint finish seem flat? My original is kind of shiny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600214547[/url]

------------------
My '69 Camaro Convertible

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 01-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mr69 (edited 01-09-2002).]

·
Retired
26,645 Posts
I'd have to see one in person before passing judgment. The sections with the grain pattern (above the steering column and the right side) are the areas that will standout the most and the photo doesn't highlight them very well...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
There's a guy in Ohio who restores/rechromes them. I had repainted my chrome trim--spent many, many hours painting, sanding, repainting, sanding, repainting, sanding. But I'm giving him mine to remove all my tedious work, and replate it with his system. Also taking one for a friend. I'll post the results.
When I was buying parts for my car, I bought a lot of repro stuff from the resto houses. However, the more I hear about many of the repro parts, the more I am moving towards replacing my repro parts with excellent originals.
So in a few months, if you see lots of "new resto parts" for sale, it just might be me!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hello Gary ! What kind of money does the guy get for replating the dash bezel? My original is in very good shape other than the chrome is worn thin. Thanks Dave!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I saw the dash carrier that classic offers since I live close to them and I did'nt like it because the texture wasnt correct. It should have a texture similar to the dash pad from what I know. And the finish seemed too flat. I'm going to check with car shop in orange calif. Just my 2 pennys.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I saw one of the new bezels and noticed the finish on the grain was a little flat also, I,m wondering if maybe it supposed to be painted to interior color of your choice?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I got to do the "touch and feel" yesterday on a new Detroit Speed & Engineering '69 dash. It's all metal and very nicely made. This particular model did not have a place for the stock AC/heater controls but will handle the Vintage Air control panel. I was told another version is in the works with provisions for the stock control unit.

Anyway - very nice alternative although I'm sure they're proud of it. Might be worth checking with them if you're interested.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts