Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently re-built a motor, new rod bearings, heads, cam, oil pump, lifters, push rods, the works. When I fired it up no oil go t to the top of the motor. I ran it with no valve covers to make sure and nothing got to the top end. What happened??Is there a blockage? The I pulled the distributor and turned the pump manually and the only place oil was coming from was the hole directly behind the distributor shaft. What'd wrong, I need help bad and quick. Thanks

Tim

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,443 Posts
Did you forget the plugs at the front of the block behind the cam gear? Is there no oil pressure on the gauge? If there's no gauge get one hooked up and spin the pump without starting the engine and make sure there is oil pressure; should be able to get at least 25-35 p.s.i. by using a primer tool and a drill.

Jody

·
10,144 Posts
There is a lifter lube hole in line with the distributor housing at the bottom. With the dist removed, the passage is open and oil will fall into the pan and be visible thru the distributor hole.

The fancy oil priming tools have a body like a distributor to allow the oil to go to the lifters on the right side.

Try the priming tool for about 5 minutes. Be carefull, you can burn up a 3/8" drill doing this. A half inch drill is better.

How long did you run it or prime it?
Are all the oil gallery plugs in?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the engine had oil pressure before the re-build. I didn't touch anything other than what I replaced. Rod bearings, lifters, push rods, cam, and heads. The block was left untouched. I actually ran the motor for about a minute or so and once I saw no oil coming into the rocker arms I shut it down. I had the valve covers off.

H

·
0 Posts
you didn, mention CAM BEARINGS?????? did you replace them. if not you could have to much clearance and there goes your pressure.

IT COST TO GO FAST
HOW DAM* FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO

·
10,144 Posts
might be you didn't run it long enough.

There is a problem with older 283 blocks of the fiftys. They got oil to the top of the engine by going around the camshaft rear bearing. There needs to be a grouve or couple of holes in the rear camshaft journal for those years.
You probably don't have that old a block, plus it worked before.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Homepage
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 08-25-2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts