Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is currently under assembly and the paint does not yet have a coat of wax on it. What is the best way to remove dust? I have a California duster and McGuire detail spray. Or should I just disregard while the car is being assembled? My OCD has a hard time looking at the dust.
Thanks

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,067 Posts
I use a California Duster often and have done so since the car was painted. I do not use wax.
I use Wizards Shine Master Polish & Sealer. Other than that I use Mothers California Gold
Showtime Instant Detailer. I haven't washed my car ever. My car was painted a year ago and
I've only used the Shine Master twice. I'm just not a believer in wax with a base/clear paint.
If the dust is heavy use compressed air to blow it off. Carefully of course as dust can scratch.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
wait until it is finished and use a garden hose without a nozzle to wash the dust off. then dry using a micro fiber towel to dry. this is for the first time
to each there own, but I wax my car every spring after using a synthetic clay bar . I never wash my car I use plenty of detailer and micro fiber towels

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,444 Posts
Ask your painter about applying wax. They usually recommend waiting a couple months at least to allow the paint to fully outgas and cure.

Yep, California Duster and detail spray as needed...

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
As long as you smell the paint off-gassing in the garage do not wax it. Duster and detail spray work fine.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Deleted at the request of Scott, Supreme Master of Body and Paint..... :grin2:

Don

·
19,759 Posts
Mine was done in 2008....never washed except after buffing. Have only used detail spray and Cali duster.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Asking your painter is probably the best advice that I have read so far.

I am not the same I guess as others. My car gets driven. If it's raining and I feel like driving it, I do. I wash it with whatever car wash is on sale and a microfiber cloth. I dry it with a microfiber cloth too. The paint and primers on my car are so much better than what GM used, and probably what they use now. It's just a car, and will probably be up for sale in a year or so. The build was more fun than driving. Just my opinion. I'm sure most of y'all think I'm a fool , and I probably am.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I use Sprayway glass cleaner on new paint. It’s gentle enough to be used on fresh basecoat.

Don
Edit it one more time. Basecoat is not a stand alone product.
As far as maintenance is concerned, a poster will get countless replies as to what is best. Many claim their method is superior. I've been in this business for decades. I use what works for me to maintain a swirl free finish and nice shine. Most would never treat their frame off resto as I do. Friends have restored cars and survivors who drive them down dirt roads and in the rain just like me. Cars are built to be driven.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
🤣

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Edit it one more time. Basecoat is not a stand alone product.
As far as maintenance is concerned, a poster will get countless replies as to what is best. Many claim their method is superior. I've been in this business for decades. I use what works for me to maintain a swirl free finish and nice shine. Most would never treat their frame off resto as I do. Friends have restored cars and survivors who drive them down dirt roads and in the rain just like me. Cars are built to be driven.
Never said it was Scott so no need for any editing on my part. Thanks for the input as always.... :grin2:

Don

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Is there a product or useful recommendation buried in there somewhere?:grin2:

Don

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Never said it was Scott so no need for any editing on my part. Thanks for the input as always.... :grin2:

Don
It is misleading for those who have zero painting experience. There is no mention of basecoat flashtime, recoat window or improper application of Sprayway glass cleaner which could result in product failure.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Is there a product or useful recommendation buried in there somewhere?:grin2:

Don
Depends on the kind of dust the OP is encountering. Is it dirt or pollen? I don't know how long ago his car was painted. He has a duster and detail spray which can work. Your SPI site would have an answer as would any detailing or professional forum. You'll find many suggestions and product preferences.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Depends on the kind of dust the OP is encountering. Is it dirt or pollen? I don't know how long ago his car was painted. He has a duster and detail spray which can work. Your SPI site would have an answer as would any detailing or professional forum. You'll find many suggestions and product preferences.
Hence the product I recommended. It would be effective and safe under all those conditions.

Don

·
Premium Member
Shawn Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro LS3, TKO 600
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all the great info. I used the California and it worked fine without leaving any streaks. I will stick with the duster and detail spray until the paint is at least 3 months old and then decide on wax or not. I do not smell any off gassing fumes in the garage. The paint is 3.5 weeks old and is water based PPG.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
My black show car was restored in 2011 and has never been washed or waxed. I spray water and wipe with a 100% cotton cloth. Every so often I use Mcquires glaze and is kept under a car cover. Last show at the Charlotte Autofair, of 2000 cars the took best paint even though it is a 10 year old paint job.I owned a detail shop in the 90's and used many different products as I have done on the 65 cars I have owned. . . . washing my non show car fleet I wipe down with a fake chamois. Many of the micro cloths are polyester(plastic) and can leave scratches only seen with a blue light and dull the paint, so I stay away from those on my dark color cars. After I have painted a car I usually wait a couple of months. The purpose of clay, wax or polish is to remove the containments from driving etc and leaves an invisible protection. If you have a great paint job and was buffed properly the application, in many cases, doesn't improve the shine but to clean and protect. Just an old car guy that has some experience!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
To remove the glaze and wax in the detail business we used a Cyclo buffer that has 2 4" foam pads. We could remove the product inside 15 min. You have to, to make any $$ in that business. Mine is a 1953 unit that I bought at a pawn shop and works great, is consistent and removes the product. . . with no streaking or residue, especially on a black car. Those of you that have a black car know what I mean. The Cyclo is still available and is the best buffer I have ever used.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts