Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1969 Camaro Z28 RS X33. This car has been sitting for 33 years. Now we are going to start the restoration. The only thing missing is the 12 bolt factory rear. We have all nos parts for the car. Everything is complete in factory boxes, fenders, hood, front grill, tail lights, etc. can't wait to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Re: New Project 69 Camaro RS Z28 Sitting 42 Years

Welcome!!! Looks like a great project.

Great folks here that are very helpful and can answer about any question you can think of. :beers:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
sounds exciting. don't tell anyone where you are located with all those NOS parts! :) ha ha
i was watching american pickers a couple days ago and they were picking an old speed shop that was long closed down in alabama and this place was filled with NOS stuff and old speed parts never used. i was drooling seeing all the goodies. love that stuff. good luck with your build.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the kind words. James the parts were purchased back in the late 70's from the local chevy dealership and stored in the garage. Today I located the original rear. The guy who has it is trying to rob me without a gun. He wants 5k for it.... Ouch! He knows why I want it. Keep you posted on that one. I just shipped the DZ out to my cousin in Texas, he has a machine shop and does motors for a living. That DZ motor was 100 percent complete and original including a add on crossram with both carbs. The muncie goes out next. Will keep you posted on progress and provide some pics.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin, the car was stored in North Philly, yes the hood. It's now a family project headed by me. Next month Jerry MacNeish is coming to authenticate it before we ship it off to Bob at Camaro Specialties for restoration.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some more pics. Don't laugh the car needs some love. It has some cool options. JL8 brakes, power windows from the factory, fold down rear seat, and tilt wheel to name a few. I also dig that it's an RS with the hideaway head lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John, I believe the distributor did come with the car. We found it after the motor was shipped out. There are some many items stored in this garage, its like a first gen junkyard. I am still looking for the am/fm radio and power steering pump. James the JL8 brakes are long gone on the original rear. It's sitting in a garage next to a 396 67 Camaro block. 10-12k for the rear is the going price? Ouch.... The front JL8 brakes are still intact and the calipers are painted orange with cragar wheels and red carpet inside, talk about the 70's groovy look.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
If the car originally had JL8 brakes, even if the fronts are gone, go tonight to buy the rear. Even if it's a normal 12 bolt, and you know for sure it's from your Z, I'd pay 5K for it. Of course, there are no markings on the rear to prove it came on your car, so any properly dated 3.73 (or lower) 12 bolt rear would be "correct"

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If the rear end is coded with a JL8 code it doesn't matter if the brakes are there... the most crucial part to find is the axle housing with the correct stamp and axle tubes.

Also please DO not go blindly give someone 5k for a rear end they claim is from your car, if it is in fact a real JL8 rear end it is worth the 5k whether for your car or someone else who wants it, get some pics and post them or send them to Kurt.

·
Registered
298 Posts
my JL8 Z28 came from the same area around philly mine is a o5E the rear is QW 05 23 I have seen those rears go for as much as $21 thousand

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
John, I believe the distributor did come with the car. We found it after the motor was shipped out. There are some many items stored in this garage, its like a first gen junkyard. I am still looking for the am/fm radio and power steering pump. James the JL8 brakes are long gone on the original rear. It's sitting in a garage next to a 396 67 Camaro block. 10-12k for the rear is the going price? Ouch.... The front JL8 brakes are still intact and the calipers are painted orange with cragar wheels and red carpet inside, talk about the 70's groovy look.
IF the original rear end has everything BUT the brakes, but it has good gears AND the stamped code is for a JL8 AND dated appropriately for your car, I'd think it's still worth the $5K....

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Guys thanks for all the input regarding the rear. I going to check it out tomorrow with my brother, he does have a permit to carry in the city (Thank God). I am not bring any cash with me. I will take pics and forward them to Kurt and post some here. The original rear was taken off the car in the 80's and stored with a dozen or so other rears. Then it was sold by mistake for 300 dollars to a guy who put it on a 1/4 mile track car. Then it was removed from the track car and stored in a garage. I just have to laugh, my numbers matching 67 327 car had the wrong 10 bolt when I purchased it. I found a PA 3:08 rear in perfect condition 5 mins from the house for 200 dollars. It came out of a car built the same week in January as mine. Now all this is happen....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts