Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bike was bought for me when I was 7yrs old. I loved it and can still remember riding it. I recently was digging through my junk pile and found it. Wow the memories. So I took it apart, sent the frame to get chromed and started researching for parts. I found out that this bike is worth a lot of $$$ which made me even more happy. Here is a before pic.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Cool Pat ,wish I had my 1st Stingray Banana seat ape handle bars way back in 65,bought 2 O C C stingray's the other day both for 150.00 new extended forks fat rear tire custom leather seat kinda cool my girls love them 17 and 15 yrs.got to get them the german army helmets top it all off......Happy Motoring

·
Registered
601 Posts
So was it originally a "Pro class" wheelset bike or did it come with "Motomags"? (The Skyway Tuff II's aren't the originals) My original was black with gold motomags, weighed a ton but it was the coolest bike in the neighborhood, I traded it for a chrome GT Pro Performer with Neon green Skyway Tuff II's, which went the wayside for an S.E. P.K. Ripper and eventually an S.E. Quadangle. I sold the Quadangle frame last year on Ebay, I got a really nice return on my investment.

You're in for a tough job if you want it to look original!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Wow, wish I still had my Mongoose. It had the Motomags, but I remember being jealous of my friend's Tuffs because they were lighter. However, the MMs sure had bling! Too bad I didn't keep it, and I wish the same thing about my banana-seated Stingray too!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So was it originally a "Pro class" wheelset bike or did it come with "Motomags"? (The Skyway Tuff II's aren't the originals) My original was black with gold motomags, weighed a ton but it was the coolest bike in the neighborhood, I traded it for a chrome GT Pro Performer with Neon green Skyway Tuff II's, which went the wayside for an S.E. P.K. Ripper and eventually an S.E. Quadangle. I sold the Quadangle frame last year on Ebay, I got a really nice return on my investment.

You're in for a tough job if you want it to look original!
This is how it came off of the showroom floor with the Tuff II's. It's as light as a feather, has chromoly frame. I didn't even know anything about the bike so I posted it on "BMX Museum.com" and they told me what it is. I have another one (my brothers) which was bought at same time and it has Tuff I's on it. I will restore it next. Here is the frame after chroming!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Redline would whoop that Mongoose's heavy butt! If only my knees were still 12 years old....
lol,^^^ I never would have thought that there would have been this many Camaro fans that were (or still are) into bicycles. My friends at work laugh at me when I tell them that I'm restoring a bicycle. Oh well, to each his own.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Post more pics

I had a Race Inc BMX bought one piece at a time took me all 7th 8th grade to build it must have spent 600 on it? Rode it to high school for a week before some ripped it off. I cried like a little bitch. Got it back for 150 reward only to have it ripped off again several months later. Ah the god ole days.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My son had a Kuwahara that he BMX'ed in the eighties.he did quite well with it but then got into "freestyle" and made a bunch of changes to the bike.I have no idea where that bike is now,I've never seen it at his house and I know it's not here anywhere.Hmmm-I'll have to ask him where it is.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
lol,^^^ I never would have thought that there would have been this many Camaro fans that were (or still are) into bicycles. My friends at work laugh at me when I tell them that I'm restoring a bicycle. Oh well, to each his own.
No, not anymore. Those days dies with a teen growth spurt that wrecked havoc on my knees. Andthose mongoose frames were too friggin heavy. I'd need my engine hoist to pick it up :p

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ahh,

The good 'ole days...I remember riding my Mongoose through the neighborhood and the local BMX for the first time. I felt like a King...at least til those fast Redlines came along. ;)

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I had a chrome mongoose, with moto-mags, then a red one with gold light wieght alloys, also had a white one with silver light wieghts and had aset of moto-mags for it.

My parents owned a Harley shop and we also sold bikes and skate boards. We sold Mongoose and Red-line. My goose wipped up on red-lines!! I could table top my goose for ever but that red line would drop like a rock!!

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I just installed an 80cc 2-stroke on a friends OCC chopper. We lucked out and found/installed a springer front end that would work too. Bike will run 46MPH. you peddle it to get it going then engage the clutch and it starts right up...pretty cool!

OH...I let him borrow my chrome novelty helmet with a spike on the top of it too...gave us all a good laugh...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finaly finished (maybe). I might get the 3 original pads that came on it, handlebar, gooseneck and frame pad. Here are some pics.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
8,747 Posts
Jody, that is one wild looking bike! Whay year model is that?
The Krates debuted in 1968 and ran until 1972 with the five speeds. They recalled the shifter due to injuries :D and went to a one speed after that.

The Cotton Picker came out in 70 for Schwinns 75th anniversary; this one was made in December 69.

Jody

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.