Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I pulled the old radio out (Alpine 9843) of my '67. This radio worked very well before I pulled it out. I also had in hand the wiring diagram for that radio, and the new one I bought from Retro Classic.

First off, it was a birds nest inside. There are butt plugs and splices going everywhere, brown wires, yellow wires...even a white wire. Have no idea where that one goes. The ground wire that came from the Alpine harness was not connected to anything, and there was no ground wire coming from the cars harness, so I temporarily grounded the head unit to the metal area under the AC faceplate screw until I can find a good spot under the dash. I say 'car's harness' loosely, as it is just a loosely taped small bundle of wires.

Anyhow, I hooked up the basics, red for ignition. Yellow for constant battery, and black for ground. Now, there is an orange wire spliced into the car harness, which the Alpine says is for illumination. I had no more wires, so touched the battery connection (yellow wire) and the dash lights came on. So, I just left that one alone.

Turned on the ignition, then the radio, and nothing happened. I'm wondering if I just need to run a separate yellow wire to the battery or would the issue be with the ignition wire..or both?

Any guidance from someone who has navigated this before would be appreciated.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
? Hum... If I follow this right

does the new radio have a clock or memory that requires constant? If so use the batt spade of the fuse box. Just double check the fuse is okay. You need not run a separate wire from the battery. You may have fried the fuse back heeding the dash lights.

If the new radio does not use running lights - lights controlled by the dash light and dimmer circuit - you don't use the line the GM's used to illuminate the radio dials at night.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
The orange wire should get power from your head light switch. It will dim the head unit at night when you turn the lights on.

Make sure your ground is good.

As Brian said, check your fuse in the panel, and also there is usually one inline with your yellow power wire.

If none of that works, you need to test your leads with a multimeter.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Brian. Yes, the radio has both a clock and memory presets that needs a constant. I don't believe that it needs the illumination lead, as it has no connection for it on the new harness, I just wasn't sure exactly how that was used.

I'll check the fuse for the dash lights, but hopefully it is OK.

So you would run the constant to which connection on the fuse box? Where's the best place to run the ground wire? I wasn't sure if there was a common place that's easy to secure or just drill in a particular location, and I suppose could be the source of the radio not turning on. Would securing it to the console metal faceplate be adequate as a ground for test purposes? I'm assuming that the ignition wire is hot, but I'll check with a multimeter.

Would have been great if a 'normal' harness had already been wired, but normal doesn't seem to be the norm lately.

Thanks again.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
There should be 2 spades in the center, one marked as BAT for the yellow lead. The other is ACC for accessory.

Lets see if these pictures help

Run the ground to steel frame of the dash support, or over to the ground by the headlight switch. In 69 there was a ground behind the ashtray by the flasher mount.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
come to think of it, the radio has its own fuse and lead. So if you can find that use that, if not use the ACC lead that feeds from that same radio fuse location.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys. Yes, thats correct. The radio does have it's own fuse and lead, which is the 12v constant. I've posted a picture below. Hope that helps. So in summary, the red ignition wire is tapped into the brown car wire. The yellow wire is tapped into the cars orange wire. And the ground wire was not tapped into anything, it just had a fitting on the end. I didn't think that this would be this complicated.

This puzzles me as the radio worked just fine before I took it out. I'm not so sure it does at this point, as I just got my car back from the restoration shop, where they fixed my dash and headlight grounds. So who knows what they did in there.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's a better one...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys. Thought I'd follow up and close the thread out. I finally got the head unit to work. I think that the ground must have been insufficient to start, but found another location, but hooked it all up and we're in business. Thanks again Brian and Brent for the assistance

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts