Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 67 Camaro with a mono leaf setup that I'm looking to convert to multi leaf. I'm looking to get a new Moser 12 bolt which I will order with multi leaf perches. Is there anything else I need to do to the car to do the swap? I was thinking of getting the Hotchkis 2407C as they seem to be a popular choice for people.

If anyone can let me know what else I would need to do I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Someone may be able to answer if they're necessary, but the mono and multi's used different spring eye brackets. That's the part that bolts to the front of the spring and then to the frame. You'll also need a multileaf install kit which will come with all your j-nuts, u-bolts, pads, brackets, rear bushings, etc. The one from D&R Classic works fine. Both of those items will run you around $60 and $90 respectively. You may have to hog out the holes in the spring eye brackets (I did).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Steiner.

I've seen a few multileaf conversion kits, I just didn't know if that was if you were keeping your stock rearend or not. Because mine will come with multileaf perches, that's why I was wondering. But it makes sense that I would need all of those other parts as well.

Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I was only planning on doing this conversion right now because I'm ordering a new rearend and need to choose between mono or multileaf perches. If I already need to order the conversion kit (that I'm assuming comes with perches?) can I just keep the mono setup for now and upgrade to multi at a later date (when I'm not bleeding money!)? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I don't know if you can get monoleafs to fit correctly in multileaf perches. It'll cost more down the road to get the perches cut off and buy new ones and have them welded on. You can also look into the JC Whitney three leaf springs that work with mono stuff.

However, if your car is like most once you take the stuff apart you may find all of it needs to be replaced anyway. If that's the case then it only makes sense to go ahead and get the multileaf stuff. It always costs more to do it down the road. ALWAYS.

When you order the rear it will come with the perches already installed so you should only need the leafs, multileaf install kit (not conversion kit), the spring eye perches, and the shock plates.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Upgrading to staggered shocks sounds like more of a project than I really want to take on right at this moment. I assume, Steiner, that the kit you mentioned is for the 67?

What about this kit from Detroit Speed?
http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/rearsuspensionprod/mono_to_multi_prod.htm

Are these all more or less the same?
Maybe I am wrong on this one, but it's the shock plate the only difference between staggered vs. not staggered shock setup? :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I am wrong on this one, but it's the shock plate the only difference between scattered vs. not scattered shock setup? :confused:
I have absolutely no clue! As you can probably tell from my posts, I'm new to most of this. Switching from non-staggered to staggered sounds like a big project. Again, I don't know. Is it that simple? Would it still only involve getting the new springs and conversion kit?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
What that kit does is just essentially make the perch deeper to fit the taller spring pack. The spacers would go on each side of the perch. If you want to save some coin it seems that may be a good way to do it but you wouldn't need to buy that kit until once you decided to install multileafs.

I cannot tell whether or not down the road if your existing spring eye brackets would fit multileaf springs though. Someone else surely knows. The ones they sell now are called "Multileaf spring eye brackets for '67-'69".

If I were you, I'd go ahead and take the rear end out and see what needs to be replaced before you start ordering parts. It's going to chap your hide if you decide to stay monoleaf and then find out that you have to buy the same stuff again when you decide to upgrade to multileaf.

This is just me but when I put in my Moser I did everything....springs, shocks, new brackets, new install kit. Mine was already a multileaf car and a '69 so I can't tell you whether or not your existing shock plates will work with multileaf perches. Also consider that when you upgrade you will most likely need the shock extenders or new shocks since the plate will be mounted further away from the upper shock mount than original.

Give it some time and surely someone who has done a '67 will chime in. Moser ain't gonna run out of rear ends.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
There is more to converting to "scattered" AKA staggered shocks than just the lower shock plate. The upper shock mounts are also different - one forward of the axle and one rearward. 67 had both upper mounts forward. It is not something I would consider doing unless I was skilled at metal work and knew how to properly reinforce the new upper shock mount. And it's not really even necessary with a good multi leaf spring. I think it was GM's attempt at reducing wheel-hop.

I am using Hotckis multi-leafs with the original mono-leaf front spring cup w/o issue. Don't know if the mono & multi front cup was different or not. ( I doubt it)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What that kit does is just essentially make the perch deeper to fit the taller spring pack. The spacers would go on each side of the perch. If you want to save some coin it seems that may be a good way to do it but you wouldn't need to buy that kit until once you decided to install multileafs.

I cannot tell whether or not down the road if your existing spring eye brackets would fit multileaf springs though. Someone else surely knows. The ones they sell now are called "Multileaf spring eye brackets for '67-'69".

If I were you, I'd go ahead and take the rear end out and see what needs to be replaced before you start ordering parts. It's going to chap your hide if you decide to stay monoleaf and then find out that you have to buy the same stuff again when you decide to upgrade to multileaf.

This is just me but when I put in my Moser I did everything....springs, shocks, new brackets, new install kit. Mine was already a multileaf car and a '69 so I can't tell you whether or not your existing shock plates will work with multileaf perches. Also consider that when you upgrade you will most likely need the shock extenders or new shocks since the plate will be mounted further away from the upper shock mount than original.

Give it some time and surely someone who has done a '67 will chime in. Moser ain't gonna run out of rear ends.
Right now I'm still thinking of doing the conversion. I think you're right and waiting to swap down the road will be way worse. If I get the rearend with the multileaf perches it sounds like a much better solution. I just don't know how involved the process is. I'm going have to look into it some more.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is more to converting to "scattered" AKA staggered shocks than just the lower shock plate. The upper shock mounts are also different - one forward of the axle and one rearward.It is not something I would consider doing unless I was skilled at metal work and knew how to properly reinforce the new upper shock mount. And it's not really even necessary with a good multi leaf spring. I think it was GM's attempt at reducing wheel-hop.

I am using Hotckis multi-leafs with the original mono-leaf front spring cup w/o issue. Doun't know if the mono & multi front cup was different or not. ( I doubt it)
Hi Al,

So what did you end up needing to purchase for conversion? I have been looking at the Hotchkis 2407C kit.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
If you get the Moser 12 bolt w/multi-leaf perches and the Hotchkis springs, I believe you will have everything you need for a successful install. While the DSE lower multi-leaf shock plates would be nice, I am running the multi-leaf spring in mono-leaf perches and using mono-leaf shock plates. It does extend the shock a little further, but I haven't noticed any ill effects. Since the Hotchkis springs are "lowering" springs, it might not extend the any further,really.

The Hotchkis springs come with humungous U-bolts (5/8") that require drilling larger holes in the spring perches and in the shock plates. I opted not to go that route, and used 4 of the standard size 7/16" U-bolts. They are cheap at the local spring shop.

If you DO decide to get the DSE mult-leaf shock plates, you might or might not need to get different shocks, as the lower mount method is different. The multi plate uses a stud to mount the shock to the plate, while the mono uses a bolt and a nut, and the lower end of the shock is sandwiched between the two tangs on the shock plate. My shocks are configured for either method - some shocks are either/or.

It's a little trickier - but not too bad - installing the Hotchkis multi-leafs into a mono-leaf perch.

Edit - If you get the Hotchkis rear leafs, you should also consider getting the Hotchkis or similar front springs as you could concievably wind up with an "uphill" stance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts