Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a thread the past few days about how "nice and helpful" everyone here is to each other, and I gotta say, that is one of the main reasons I rarely go to other forums.

Another thing I really like here is that there are so many who "do it yourself."
For those who don't for whatever reason, that's ok, we like you too.

For those who would like to but lack the confidence, read on.

I've always been a do-it-yourselfer, mostly of the "shade tree" variety. This car, this place, and this time in my life I've tried to raise the bar personally on what I can do and how well I can do it.

This winter (working on the car in the heated garage) season has been a banner time for me because I've added 2 new skills.

I bought and learned to use some basic equipment that enabled me to do my own front end alignment. Since us with "modified old cars" tend to be billed by the hour for such services, I figure it paid for itself this first use.

The other is a "biggie." For many years, I've felt very limited because of my inability to use "fire" to make 2 peices of steel into one. Well, no more. I weld. And with welding comes the ability to "make things" rather than simply buying them and bolting them on. It will be a LONG LONG time (if ever) before my fabrication skills approach those of Royce, or Eric68, or Mark W. (to name only a few) but I'll keep practicing, and I'll get better.

Not long ago, I replaced the mufflers and used band clamps to clamp them on. The original flowmaster hangers were bent metal rods welded to the conventional clamps, and were no longer useable. In just a few minutes, I cut off the bars, made up 2 peices of flat steel with 2 holes each matching the boltholes on the band clamps, some quick measuring, fire up the mig, ZAP, 2 new muffler hangers!

While doing the floors was cool, actually making something that didn't exist before really "rang my bell."

So, if you always wanted to, then just "go-fer-it!"

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Thats inspiring for any do-it-yourselfer JimM. And thanks for doing more than your part to help make this a great site!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Go for it Jim!

I love to make things and have found that many times I can make what I need in less time than it takes to try to find it in a catalog, let alone shipping time. Plus I can make it the way that I want not have to compromise and live with only what I can find.

And if your next project idea needs some machining on a Mill or Lathe let me know And I can help you with that.

TTFN
Mat

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Nice job....:thumbsup: I've always found doing my own work to be satisfying too, but I also suffer from welding failure. I can arc and gas, but they aren't needed much in a restoration. I really need to get a mig or tig and take classes. My new ride needs a trunk floor and I'm gonna do myself.....someday....:yes:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you can arc weld, the mig will be a breeze. I seriously pulled the trigger once for a 4" test bead, and started welding in floors and SFC's. Darned thing pretty much just does it's thing all by itself. Now all I gotta do is practice "neatness"

·
Registered
968 Posts
great to see people working on their own cars!! I love it.

I've never brought my car to a mechanic EVER. I hate them with a passion. Only place I've dropped my camaro off is the paint shop after I did bodywork/welding myself. And besides, it's more fun when you do this kind of stuff yourself.

Great advice was given above, you never know if you can do it if you don't try!:hurray:

·
Registered
540 Posts
The trick with the mig gun is setting up the machine properly. One of the tricks to get a nice bead is to keep it flat or down hill is even better. You will have trouble tring to weld uphill with a mig.;)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Since the Camaro (my wife likes to call her Camilla) is pretty much how I want it minus disk brakes, I am trying to gather funds to build me a custom Bobber motorcycle....Thanks for all your input on this awesome forum JimM! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts