Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced my starter solenoid.
Replaced all wire EXACTLY how they came off.
And ..... got nothin. No click ... no rrrrrrrrrr .... no nothin.
Did I get a faulty solenoid?

Help

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Did you have that same problem before you changed the solenoid? Usually when you turn the key and nothing happens it's a defective solenoid. Check all the wiring for loose connections all the way to the ignition switch. Grab a test light and make sure that you are getting power to the terminals on the solenoid. Also check the obvious like a dead battery.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't have the same problem before I changed the solenoid. Before, when the car got warm and I turned it off, it would not start again until the car just about completely cooled down. Headers where cooking the solenoid. Got replacement solenoid and heat shield. Only 2 small wire and 1 BIG wire to the solenoid, and I connected them EXACTLY how they came off. Now ... no click, no nothin??

Before .... it would start no problem when the car was cold.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Chris-in-Cali said:
Now ... no click, no nothin??
New solenoid may be bad but...

Chris-in-Cali said:
Before, when the car got warm and I turned it off, it would not start again until the car just about completely cooled down. .
I aasume you mean crank...
A lot of times this problem is a wiring problem, not a solenoid problem. Run a extra wire (10g) from the solenoid "S" terminal to near the battery with a 30 fuse near the battery. Next time the cars hot and won't crank with the key, touch the 10g to the battery pos, (make sure the trans is in park, this bypasses all safety devices) if it cranks, its a wiring problem, if it doesn't crank, its a solenoid/starter problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm ...
everything was fine until the original solenoid started acting up.
when I was removing ... I saw that it was REAL close to the Headers. As in LESS than a 1/4 inch easy. And those headers get H.O.T.

I'll try the old solenoid again while it's cold, see if it a NEW solenoid problem.
If not ... I'll try the little hammer trick.
If not ... I'll go back inside and have a beer :-( or two

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
is your new solenoid a real delco?

While you have the old one in your hand, you might open it and check it out, easy to do. Maybe clean the contacts and the disk, make sure everything moves freely and such. If it's a delco, if it's not, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Duralast Gold ???

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Since you said that the headers are 1/4'' away from the starter, it's possible that the internal parts of the starter got fried as well. Replace the starter as well with the new solenoid. 9 out of 10 times, when you replace the unit as a whole, it solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Since you said the headers are 1/4" away from the starter/solenoid it makes me think this will only be an interim repair. You're only fixing the damage, not the problem...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm ....
well the headers surely won't move. so what's a cure? smaller starter?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oooooooooooook ...
went out tonight and checked all the wires ... all was fine.
did a little tap tap with a hammer ... still no click or crank.
desided to remove the starter again and remove the "new" solenoid and put the "old" solenoid back on ( with a heat shield ) ... car fired right up.

would you call this a bad "new" solenoid ?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Take it back to where you got it and get your money back :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I swear it NEVER ENDS !!!!!!!!!!
Car started just fine this morning. Even let it get HOT, turned it off, waited a minute, fired right back up no problem.

BUT !!!!!!! Now there is a GRINDING noise coming from the engine when under throttle???? Little throttle, lot of throttle ... sounds like putting a stone in a tin can. But ... get off the gas and no sound at all? Can this be related to the starter at all????

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The best thing to do is try to find the source of the noise. Have someone step on the accelerator and then listen for the noise while looking underneath the car. Listen around where the starter is at and also in the tranny. Do you have a 4 speed or Automatic? Listen around the back of the motor for a possible clutch or throwout bearing going out. It's possible that the noise is not related to the starter. You just have to narrow it down.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
upon further investigation ....
I've discovered that it only makes this SOUND while it's in gear and going.
Got a 700R4. Did not have this "sound" until I removed and put the starter back on????

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have almost the identical problem,,,it won't start after it gets hot (also have headers),,,but it will start with a jump. I'm going follow the suggestion of my 70 y/o mechanic,,,who thinks I should try replacing the ignition switch.

Let you know how I make out.

herb

·
Registered
453 Posts
Herb396 said:
I have almost the identical problem,,,it won't start after it gets hot (also have headers),,,but it will start with a jump. I'm going follow the suggestion of my 70 y/o mechanic,,,who thinks I should try replacing the ignition switch.

Let you know how I make out.

herb
Do you mean won't start or won't crank? If its cranking (only getting a click or nothing) do the test I posted first. Then you will know for sure if its a wiring or starter/solenoid problem. If its a wiring problem it could be anywhere along this path

To check the entire starter circuit, electricity flows from the battery to the junction block, to the 4 way splice, to the horn relay, to the bulkhead connector, to IGN switch, to neutral safety switch if automatic or clutch switch if stick shift, to the starter "S" terminal. Check all connections and switches along this path. You may have a bad connection or high resistance in a switch.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
discovered what it was ....
put old solenoid back on with heat shield and the "hot" starting problem was solved. but clinking noise started while car was in gear and in motion. discovered that the gear in the started was not retracting after starting like it's supposed too. so gravity and forward motion allows the gear to slide back to the already spinning flywheel, causing the CLINK CLANK PINK !!!

so ......... I'll replace the starter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts