Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after replacing all of my iron parts (water pump, intake, exhaust manifolds) and removing the a/c compressor, my front end was jacked up in the air like a 4x4. that's the first set of pics. i just put her on the ground for the first time in a month, and here's the result. i couldn't be more happy with it. the global west S-2 fronts and L-2 are perfect together. the rear is dead even on both sides at 25 1/2 inches from floor to fender flare, and the front is dead even, both sides as well, at 25 inches. spot on! the 1/2 inch nose down profile looks great. i thought i'd post this for people to see, and to brag about my handy work a little, too! she now has the gw springs, sc &c stage 2 kit (adjustable uppers, tall howe precision ball joints), hotchkis hollow sway bar, freshly powdercoated stock lowers with del-a-lum bushings and howe standard ball joints. should have her rolling on monday!:hurray: thanks to all who have helped in this process. it's wasn't so painful after all!

before:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/guccieng/117_1766.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/guccieng/115_1539.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/guccieng/115_1543.jpg

after:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/guccieng/119_1916.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/guccieng/119_1918.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/guccieng/119_1920.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for posting. I have S-2's in the front of my 69 and I will install L-2's as soon as they arrive(back ordered for over a month). What size tire/wheel are you running up front? I assume you have an iron headed small block, I'm toying with the idea of aluminum heads but I'm afraid they'll raise the front too much.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! Thanks for posting. I have S-2's in the front of my 69 and I will install L-2's as soon as they arrive(back ordered for over a month). What size tire/wheel are you running up front? I assume you have an iron headed small block, I'm toying with the idea of aluminum heads but I'm afraid they'll raise the front too much.
thanks! i meant to say in the original post that i replaced the iron stuff with aluminum, so it's an aluminum-headed small block. i don't think your stance will be much different with iron heads anyway. the S-2 springs are 500 pounds per inch, to it would take removing 500 pounds to get the spring to raise 1 inch. the effective rate at the wheel is something in the 300 pound range. so you would have to remove 300 pounds to see that inch of change in the wheel well. the wheel is a wheel vintiques steel rally, 17x8 with 4 3/4" backspacing. it has stock drums right now, but will be replaced with discs this winter and i believe that should move the fronts out 1/8". the tires are 245/45zr17's. right now i get a little rubber to left aft frame rail rub, but nothing too bad, and the discs should help that out, if not take it away. the L-2's were shockingly stiff when i first had them installed, but now i'm used to them and like them alot (i'm still playing with the settings on the varishocks, too). i get no rubbing back there where i used to with those 275/40zr17's. i think the zero deflection bushings and shackles solved that problem! hope this helps...

·
10,164 Posts
guccieng,
It doesn't work that way, the wheel has leverage over the spring, in front here is what you have:

Below is for one wheel with stock wheel offsets, more offset would lower the wheel rates.
327 lb/in spring, wheel rate 83 lb/in .99 cps.
500 lb/in spring, wheel rate 127 lb/in 1.23 cps.

So it would take a 254 lb change in total (both sides) front end weight to alter ride height 1".
The motion ratio squared for front springs on a first gen Camaro is .254
.254 X 500 lb/in = 127 lb/in wheel rate.
David

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guccieng,
It doesn't work that way, the wheel has leverage over the spring, in front here is what you have:

Below is for one wheel with stock wheel offsets, more offset would lower the wheel rates.
327 lb/in spring, wheel rate 83 lb/in .99 cps.
500 lb/in spring, wheel rate 127 lb/in 1.23 cps.

So it would take a 254 lb change in total (both sides) front end weight to alter ride height 1".
The motion ratio squared for front springs on a first gen Camaro is .254
.254 X 500 lb/in = 127 lb/in wheel rate.
David
Thanks for the corrections. i didn't mean to give any bad info. i thought the stock spring was 180ish. that's how i came up with the 300 pound range. oops! thanks for keeping me honest!

·
10,164 Posts
John,
Hope I didn't come off as harsh in my reply, I kinda rushed the reply but later figured out I have an extra hour before I have to leave the house for Easter Brunch. I just wanted to inject some information that doesn't get discussed very often.

There are two "Motion Ratios" the usual one is from spring to lower balljoint, but there is another that goes from lower BJ to the wheel. To arrive at the second ratio, you must determine the instant center which is the intersection point of the upper and lower A arms, this length is used in getting a true spring to wheel ratio (BJ ratio divided by Wheel ratio). Most guys don't have the data to do this part of the calculation. I have it in my Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer software.

Are your rear springs the Cat5 with spherical bearings? We just switched to those on my wife's 73 Camaro.
David

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John,
Hope I didn't come off as harsh in my reply, I kinda rushed the reply but later figured out I have an extra hour before I have to leave the house for Easter Brunch. I just wanted to inject some information that doesn't get discussed very often.

There are two "Motion Ratios" the usual one is from spring to lower balljoint, but there is another that goes from lower BJ to the wheel. To arrive at the second ratio, you must determine the instant center which is the intersection point of the upper and lower A arms, this length is used in getting a true spring to wheel ratio (BJ ratio divided by Wheel ratio). Most guys don't have the data to do this part of the calculation. I have it in my Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer software.

Are your rear springs the Cat5 with spherical bearings? We just switched to those on my wife's 73 Camaro.
David
no worries! i just wanted carolina69 to know that my stance is what his would be with aluminum heads. i tried to make a statement off of obviously faulty memory, so i do appreciate your accuracy. i think most of us don't really know our real wheel rates and just go with the good 'ole word of mouth and try it and see attitudes toward buying parts and such. this thread was made just for that reason! as for the rear springs, i just went with the del-a-lum bushings and shackles only for the price. my car is merely a street machine, so i couldn't justify that much more of an expense. they seem pretty slick, though! let us know how they work out for you and yours!

·
Registered
23 Posts
John and David,
Thanks for the responses and info, that's what this website is all about! It's great to learn from others. I've got S-2's installed in the front with a 1" swaybar(info from David's website) I'll install the L-2's with Del a lum bushings IF I ever get them, supposedly JEGS shipped them today. The next will be wheels /tires I currently have 215/60/15 tires on 15X6 rallys all the way around(way to small in several areas). Thanks again for the info, please keep us posted.

Kevin

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG! test drive update... feels like a new car! i absolutely love it! the car feels balanced front to back, i can only assume that is because of the matched springs. the body roll seems gone. that's probaly the springs and the stage 2 sc&c working together. i only drove a short distance in town, but it truly feels completely stable and not harsh at all. i did turn down the rear varishocks from 7 to 3 on a scale of 14, so that helped the rear seem not so stiff. i'm running the cheap, but still new, monroe sensa-tracs up front and they seem to be just fine. i was worried about having too much sway bar, but after hitting a decent size pothole with a single wheel, my worries instantly dissolved. i'm still concerned about the bumpstop being only a little over an inch away from the frame. should i cut them back, or let them be a 'variable spring' themselves? they are poly, btw. after i get a proper alighnment and the new brakes broke in a little more, i'll put her around some corners with some speed and see how she does. but for now, i couldn't be happier! i did spend alot of coin for the parts, but it's been worth every penny just to drive in a car that is so cool and acts like a well mannered machine. can you tell i'm a little excited?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts