Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting from manual steering to power on my 69 camaro and recently spoke with Mark at SCand C and he mentioned to get the shorter steering arm because it's different than manual length. Glad I got that news but after looking for new arms I'm not seeing anything that says power steering arms or shorter arms. Can you help steer me in the right direction for the power steering arms and what to look for. thanks so much.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Think about the why different then does it matter..
longer give more leverage making a little easier to turn lock to lock.
Drop PS on it and its just lighter, slightly than shorter with ps.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
If you are referring to the pitman arm I bought the 5 3/8" power steering pitman arm from Ricks Camaro for my 68...The 5 3/8" is what the original one was.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Go here and scroll down to "steering arm lengths and part numbers".

http://www.pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension.htm

I changed from manual to PS and only went with the long pitman arm. The steering is plenty quick without changing the steering arms.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Bill, I don't think you will need to change the outer arms. Like Mike said, just changing to power steering with the long pitman arm will make your steering quicker. If after you make the change you are not happy, then you can always change later.

Oh, and howdy by the way. You must be close by or at least within a few hundred miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts