Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased American Racing Torq Thrust II 15X8 wheels and P215/65/15 tires for the front of my 69. The car had stock rims with P215/65/15, which cleared. After mounting the new tires and wheels I have a bad rubbing problem. Can anyone tell me what my problem is and what I can do to correct this problem?

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about the back spacing, but the rim was a 15X7. The front tires rub the back of the fender when I turn the wheel sharply. It seems like it hits the top of the tire well when I hit a dip on the road. There were no signs of rubbing when I took the tire off, so I don't know where it is rubbing exactly. I appreciate you getting back with me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem with 15x8 ralleys I put on the front of my 69 with P215/65/15 tires. I am told I may have to switch to 15x7 wheels. Bummer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It sounds like a backspace problem.

If you had a 15x7 wheel with a 4 1/4 backspace (not 100% sure that's what the original specs were for your wheels, but that's what they are on a set of rally wheels I have)...then to keep the outside of the wheel in the same spot (tire size differences not taken into consideration), then you'd need to have a 15x8 with a 5 1/4 backspace on your american racing wheel.

If you didn't increase the backspacing, then you might have put the extra inch all the way to the outside and you'll have that rub.

While I was waiting for my new street wheels to show up, I borrow a set of 15x8 wheels that were on a chevelle and I couldn't use them because of the same issue your describing.

The only way to fix this is to get the right backspace for your new wheel...which means returning them...you can't easily fix a backspace problem.

I'm by no means an expert, but I did learn a lot while deciding on my new wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts