Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,My name is Ryan and I inherited a 68 convertable from my Dad. It was his pride and joy and I would like to keep it that way for my son as well. But it has sat in his garage for years when he was sick and never driven. So when I went to get it out and look to see what needed to be done to it, unfortunatley it needs a new clutch and I have no idea what kind to get. So, Iam hoping the online community could make a few suggestions. I will tell you all I know about the car is that its 68 396/427 convertable. The engine came from a Chevelle that he had a long time ago. I tried looking on some sites like Jeggs or Ricks Camaros, but couldnt really make any sense out of any of it. Iam not a restorer by any means but am pretty mechanically competent. If I have directions I can get it done so I originally planned on doing it my self but if its something I should have someone else do I have no problem with that. Just thought about saving a few hundred..lol. Anyways if you need more info to help with my situation I can give what I know and thanks in advance!!!!
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
32,753 Posts
Welcome, Ryan. Congrats on the inheritance.
Reads like a good story, both past and future, for the car and family.
Correct year by the way.

No problem with doing the clutch swap-out on your own. Pretty much an easy job for the DIY-er.
But, I must warn you, safety is the key. If you have not done a simular job, you might get a book/manual and read-up. Do you have the shop tools - jackstands, jack, as well as a good set of hand tools?
Do you think you can bench press 80 lbs?
Need a trans jack?
Need a jack for the engine support underneath?

You will get a lot of good suggestions here.
As far as clutch package, I have never had a problem with GM parts, but listen to others here.
Keep in mind, 'Snowball Effect'
Also, 'Think before executing.'
Warning - you'll be gigged for pictures.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Welcome to TC and as Everette said, right year ! On the clutch you have choices in how stiff the pressure plate springs are and the material the disc is made of. If you are mainly street driving don't get a strip/race clutch or your leg will never forgive you as you drive around town. Look for clutch kits which include pressure plate, disc, and throwout bearing. Some of the big name manufacturers are Hays, McLeod, RAM, Zoom. Check Summit Racing for package deals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys. I made quick peak at the car today and it seems he had a Hays clutch in it before. I really dont want it as stiff as he had it before. Like you were saying it was a pain to drive around and just cruise with the stiff clutch like it was. As far as tools and such yes I have a good tool set with jacks and jack stands. I dont however have a trans jack. Is that somethiung I will be needing? Also, what kind of book would you suggest for such a task? I have several Chiltons but not for this car and not sure that it would even say how to do major work. Anyways, keep the suggestions coming I love it. Also any links to the correct clutch? Thats really my dilema now is which one fits the car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and as far as pics....if I can get the darn thing out of the garage I will surely grab some for ya guys...lol

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I don't use a trans jack, find them to be too clumsy when under the car on jack stands. I use my standard floor jack and loop a tie down strap around the trans and through the arms on the floor jack. Been doing it this way for over 30 years and never dropped a trans or crushed a finger.

Not sure what to suggest on a manual as I haven't had to buy one in years. In the old days it's was Haynes or Chilton, maybe something better now ?

·
Super Moderator
32,753 Posts
MHO, it may be a little strong. A lot of members here use Centerforce.

I believe your bellhousing is going to determine the diameter of clutch, but since a BBC, you may already have a -621 b/housing for an 11 inch clutch as a -403 b/housing is for a 10.5 inch diameter. Once clutch is out, or you find these numbers on your b/housing, I wouldn't get the cltch set-up until known what is there.

I would not buy rebuilt. I did once and learned the hard way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MHO, it may be a little strong. A lot of members here use Centerforce.

I believe your bellhousing is going to determine the diameter of clutch, but since a BBC, you may already have a -621 b/housing for an 11 inch clutch as a -403 b/housing is for a 10.5 inch diameter. Once clutch is out, or you find these numbers on your b/housing, I wouldn't get the cltch set-up until known what is there.

I would not buy rebuilt. I did once and learned the hard way.

Thanks Everett, thats the kind of info Iam after

1 - 12 of 12 Posts