Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and am working on my first 67.
The car came out of Virginia as a 6 cylinder but I bought it with a V8 and 4 speed, don't know what else previous owners have done. Much like remodeling a house every time I dig into 1 thing I find another. So far I have replaced the gas tank, redone and splatter painted the trunk, replaced the rear end light harness, replaced the carpet and added seat belts. My big issue is that I have no blinkers, in trying to diagnose the problem I find that I am not getting 12V to the blinker relay. I have flashers, brake lights, running lights and headlights. The wiring diagrams I have aren't clear as to where the blinker unit gets its power. Any help out there? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,510 Posts
You have checked the signal flasher with is mounted behind the ashtray/radio dash brace? The four way hazard flasher is on the fuse panel.

Attached its the wiring diagram that may be easier to read, and one for turn signals. The connector on the column is lovingly referred as the "harmonica" :D

In general rule terms the pink wire in most subsystems is power in, but also can be red or orange. Turn signals can be hard to troubleshoot. Can you tell us the situation of no signals - is this true with both the headlights on and off and do you have light and no flash or dark and no flash?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
69-Pace,

Thanks for the quick reply.
What I have is dark and no blinkers without headlights, with headlights I have running lights but no blinkers. I did check the flasher unit under the dash, not the fuse block. I even plagued it in so that one spade was exposed, ran 12V to that from another source and the blinkers worked, yet when I plug it into the connector I still get nothing. Does the power come from the "Harmonica"? I sure hope I don't have to change that, it looks like a bugger.

·
Super Moderator
32,896 Posts
Welcome to the Club, Gary
Turn signal flasher gets power from the pink wire from IGN switch ACCessory spade then yellow wire to turn signal switch and out to selected side.
Cluster indicators are tied to front lights at firewall connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for all your help, after some more time under the dash today I was able diagnose and fix the problem. Turns out I had a bad connection in the connector on the back of the ignition switch, I pulled the connector, fixed the bad connection and got the 12V I needed, I now have blinkers!

Thanks again, next up wipers....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts